Exercises to work my pecs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrall

Winger
Started the gym last week as my tits started to rival our lasses. Now keep in mind im not fit and not muscular. My problem is when im following exercises that are meant to work my pecs they are just working my arms. In the end because im so weak my arms are just killing and i feel nothing in my chest/pecs area as i cant keep going. :confused:

Is this a normal thing until my arms get bigger or is there some alternative exercise the works just that area?

Ive also tried various push up exercises with the same outcome...

Never really bench pressed before but watching that think i'll give it a try tomorrow. Didnt really know having an arched back helped certain areas.

Cheers Titus.

Barbell Bench. This video is more geared towards powerlifters, you don't need as much of an arch and a few other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ

& this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/benching-with-the-pecs.html

If you still can't feel the pecs activation, try dumbbell presses.

This. I recently switched to dumbell presses just for a change and I feel it a lot more than I did when I used the bar(although I could still feel it when I used the bar).

This. I recently switched to dumbell presses just for a change and I feel it a lot more than I did when I used the bar(although I could still feel it when I used the bar).

After seeing a youtube video i think i'll go with the dumbell presses :)

Started the gym last week as my tits started to rival our lasses. Now keep in mind im not fit and not muscular. My problem is when im following exercises that are meant to work my pecs they are just working my arms. In the end because im so weak my arms are just killing and i feel nothing in my chest/pecs area as i cant keep going. :confused:

Is this a normal thing until my arms get bigger or is there some alternative exercise the works just that area?

Ive also tried various push up exercises with the same outcome...

You need to build a base level of strength before trying anything too fancy or technical mate.

You're going the correct route in push up variations, using body weight exercises will also establish core strength and prevent any imbalances too early in your training.

Try correct strict push up techniques, don't worry if you can't do many for now, it's focusing on getting better that you want to do. I would forget all about barbell benching etc until you build your base level up.

Try these and be honest with yourself.

http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/the-perfect-push-up-challenge

Can't tell you strongly enough about investing in a set of these also no matter your level of experience. The neutral grip will work wonders for your pushing strength and save on shoulder damage whilst building strength and size in chest, triceps and shoulders.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237159.htm

You need to build a base level of strength before trying anything too fancy or technical mate.

You're going the correct route in push up variations, using body weight exercises will also establish core strength and prevent any imbalances too early in your training.

Try correct strict push up techniques, don't worry if you can't do many for now, it's focusing on getting better that you want to do. I would forget all about barbell benching etc until you build your base level up.

Try these and be honest with yourself.

http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/the-perfect-push-up-challenge

Can't tell you strongly enough about investing in a set of these also no matter your level of experience. The neutral grip will work wonders for your pushing strength and save on shoulder damage whilst building strength and size in chest, triceps and shoulders.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237159.htm

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'll try those push ups tomorrow as my arms are pretty drained after my little spell at the gym this morning. As for the dumb bells i followed everything that site on youtube said and all i could feel was strain on my shoulders :confused:.

But im having a day off tomorrow so i'll focus on doing a few of those pushups and hopefully i can feel something in the pecs.

Thanks again.

p.s i'll pop to Argos tomorrow and pick some up, cant be bit for a fiver.

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'll try those push ups tomorrow as my arms are pretty drained after my little spell at the gym this morning. As for the dumb bells i followed everything that site on youtube said and all i could feel was strain on my shoulders :confused:.

But im having a day off tomorrow so i'll focus on doing a few of those pushups and hopefully i can feel something in the pecs.

Thanks again.

p.s i'll pop to Argos tomorrow and pick some up, cant be bit for a fiver.

No problem mate.

Remember to rest and recover too. Just try as many as you can in sets of ten if possible up to say 50 total push ups at first every 3-4 days.

You'll notice a massive difference in a month. Forget the dumbells etc for now. Remember to use a close grip as shown in the video too.

No problem mate.

Remember to rest and recover too. Just try as many as you can in sets of ten if possible up to say 50 total push ups at first every 3-4 days.

You'll notice a massive difference in a month. Forget the dumbells etc for now. Remember to use a close grip as shown in the video too.

yes mate i'll follow it exactly.

Btw how long should i take to recover? Do i give it like 2 mins or wait until i feel i have my strength back. Im unsure if i need to recover fully or keep the pace up.

yes mate i'll follow it exactly.

Btw how long should i take to recover? Do i give it like 2 mins or wait until i feel i have my strength back. Im unsure if i need to recover fully or keep the pace up.

I meant on days off between training your chest mate! :)

But for when you're actually training, for this I would say anywhere between 1 minute up to 2 minutes max for what you're trying to achieve.

Trust me if you do them as in the video with strict form you will struggle to do 10 at first. Be hoest with yourself and remember to keep strict form otherwise it's not worth it.

You'll see progress week to week.

No worries, let me know how you get on.

Could only manage 5 at a time, done about 20 in the space of 15 minutes :lol:. After that my arms couldnt hold my weight so had to call it a day.

I didnt really feel my pecs being worked but an hour later i can feel them aching so they must have had a workout. Going to try and do another 20 in a bit if the stiffness buggers off..

Btw WR you know when you first start the gym and your muscles are aching like hell and stiff? Should i just keep going or am i meant to rest for a day or two? Just they ache for a good few days and dont want to miss that many days from the gym. Should i just keep going, so far this week ive only had today off, plan to go tomorrow and maybe Saturday.

Could only manage 5 at a time, done about 20 in the space of 15 minutes :lol:. After that my arms couldnt hold my weight so had to call it a day.

I didnt really feel my pecs being worked but an hour later i can feel them aching so they must have had a workout. Going to try and do another 20 in a bit if the stiffness buggers off..

Btw WR you know when you first start the gym and your muscles are aching like hell and stiff? Should i just keep going or am i meant to rest for a day or two? Just they ache for a good few days and dont want to miss that many days from the gym. Should i just keep going, so far this week ive only had today off, plan to go tomorrow and maybe Saturday.

It's important to let your muscles recover. Go again by all means but work on a different muscle group.

It's important to let your muscles recover. Go again by all means but work on a different muscle group.

Cheers mate, so should i wait until they stop aching completely? Just that takes like 3-4 days and i dont want to miss that much gym. Suppose i could just hit the rowing machine and co and stay away from the body building machines (or w/e they are called).

Cheers mate, so should i wait until they stop aching completely? Just that takes like 3-4 days and i dont want to miss that much gym. Suppose i could just hit the rowing machine and co and stay away from the body building machines (or w/e they are called).

I wouldn't wait until you're sore before training them again. The more frequently you train a muscle the less sore you will get.

I wouldn't wait until you're sore before training them again. The more frequently you train a muscle the less sore you will get.

The muscle isnt really sore as such, its just more of a stiffness the next day. I must admit when im in there the stiffness does go but im just worried im wrong in going incase i tear a muscle and injure myself.

Soreness is extremely common in beginners so you can expect it but as Titus said you don't have to wait for it to disappear mate, as I said do this every 3rd day or so for this month as you're basically shocking your system with this as it is your target training area this month.

With regards to training your other body parts just stick with the regular every 5th day or so.

In a months time when you've completed this you will have developed a base strength and your body will have completed an adaptation period at which time you can reassess and focus on another area.

As for th feel of when you are doing the exercise you are placing a heavy burden on the triceps so yes it's common to feel them working but your chest and shoulders are also working don't worry about that.

Soreness is extremely common in beginners so you can expect it but as Titus said you don't have to wait for it to disappear mate, as I said do this every 3rd day or so for this month as you're basically shocking your system with this as it is your target training area this month.

With regards to training your other body parts just stick with the regular every 5th day or so.

In a months time when you've completed this you will have developed a base strength and your body will have completed an adaptation period at which time you can reassess and focus on another area.

As for th feel of when you are doing the exercise you are placing a heavy burden on the triceps so yes it's common to feel them working but your chest and shoulders are also working don't worry about that.

Nice one mate, i shall be back there tomorrow then :cool:

Do you lads use any energy drinks to keep you going that bit longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back