RR EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Methven discusses Sunderland’s investment, transfer window & scouting plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The vitriol is probably long over due. We've sat back and accepted shite for years. Maybe it's what's needed? Backing them blindly certainly hasn't worked.

We're a f***ing mess.

What should have been an exciting time for us, new investment and a new manager has turned into a massive damp squib. Blokes I wouldn't trust to throw a piss up in a brewery in charge of the new 'investment'. A chance to change the direction of the playing side and what wad the answer? Phil f***ing Parkinson. A nice fella nee doubt but a dull uninspiring manager whose sides aren't exactly great to watch.

We hear of the investment and there's talk of speaker systems and lifts being fixed!!!!!!!

If you go back to the first podcasts with SD, the speaker system along with the pink seats were one of the first things people were asking them to fix.

And just because these things are getting fixed doesn't mean we're not going to spend money on players.

There is only so much shit you can put up with.I think people have had enough, maybe your tolerance to shit is higher than the majority of people

There's nothing can be done about the playing squad until January, yet folks are complaining now that money is being spent on other things.

To me, spending money on things like this is a good sign. It makes us look a more professional club to any players we invite up for a look around, and shows we do actually have cash to spend. The owners have done the hard part, stripping us back to a sustainable level in order to attract investment, and now we've turned the corner and can start spending again because the investors are now here.

Onward and upward as far as I'm concerned, but how many on this thread are ignoring that and just having a pop at the owners again despite knowing f-all about the internal goings-on at the club?

We're past the hard part, so let's now enjoy the ride back to where we belong.

Have some patience, give them a chance, and let's see what happens.

The one certainty is that it's in no-one's interests, including the owners, for the club not to succeed. It was always going to nigh on impossible to fix the money side and the football side simultaneously - the mess was just too big. I think they underestimated the problems and the difficulties, and, as a result, led the fans down the same route. Any manager will tell you that it's best to underpromise and overdeliver. The message on day one should have been that getting things back to where they need to be was going to be a long, slow job. I think, right now, we're at the bottom. The negativity is results driven as much as anything else. Though it seems highly unlikely right now, if we were to go unbeaten between now and the end of the year, much of the criticism would go away. Not all, for sure - there's a sizeable body will never be convinced.

Hope to god you're right.

There's nothing can be done about the playing squad until January, yet folks are complaining now that money is being spent on other things.

To me, spending money on things like this is a good sign. It makes us look a more professional club to any players we invite up for a look around, and shows we do actually have cash to spend. The owners have done the hard part, stripping us back to a sustainable level in order to attract investment, and now we've turned the corner and can start spending again because the investors are now here.

Onward and upward as far as I'm concerned, but how many on this thread are ignoring that and just having a pop at the owners again despite knowing f-all about the internal goings-on at the club?

Aye I'm sure the lift being fixed and a new speaker system will attract players. We're Sunderland in league one. We should be attracting and getting the best players for this level regardless.

And here we are 18 month later needing investment to fix the speakers. f***ing brilliant eh?

I would think putting these repairs off has all been part of the cost-cutting in order to look self-sustaining so that investors would be interested. Not because the owners couldn't afford to do it but because the amount it would cost would make the book-balancing harder.

Now the investors are in, we're doing the repairs. It doesn't mean we won't be spending on players, it doesn't mean the owners are skint, it's just been a cost-cutting exercise that's now over.

I can't see anything wrong with what CM said in his interview personally. It all looks positive to me.

You'd think from this thread that instead of hiring scouts he'd hired homeless people to stand outside the stadium asking for donations.
Aye I'm sure the lift being fixed and a new speaker system will attract players. We're Sunderland in league one. We should be attracting and getting the best players for this level regardless.

So you missed the bit of the interview where he said we didn't need the investment for this level, but they wanted them in place for when we go up so that things are already sorted and don't still need to be done when we get there?

Last edited:
The nagging question is “what is in it for the investors, FFP”?

In my work I deal with American businesses, investors and know of companies owned by US investment vehicles, such as KKR hedge fund.

In my experience they are usually completely ruthless in business deals. There is never altruism as a motive, usually short term gains on controlling assets.

At the very least they must have some security on their investment? Property or first options on a discounted purchase price.

It is baffling.
Not only baffling it's worrying, this investment has a bit of a bad smell about the terms that might accompany it.

I would think putting these repairs off has all been part of the cost-cutting in order to look self-sustaining so that investors would be interested. Not because the owners couldn't afford to do it but because the amount it would cost would make the book-balancing harder.

Now the investors are in, we're doing the repairs. It doesn't mean we won't be spending on players, it doesn't mean the owners are skint, it's just been a cost-cutting exercise that's now over.

I can't see anything wrong with what CM said in his interview personally. It all looks positive to me.

You'd think from this thread that instead of hiring scouts he'd hired homeless people to stand outside the stadium asking for donations.
Just look at the state of the playing side of the club. It's abysmal. The worst in the clubs history. They neglected a huge part of what can and should make the club better in scouting.

Oh and BTW if the owners aren't skint {in footballing terms} then why do we need investment? And why mention the investment will help fix lifts and speaker systems?

So you missed the bit of the interview where he said we didn't need the investment for this level, but they wanted them in place for when we go up so that things are already sorted and don't still need to be done when we get there?
No I missed no part in the interview. I read he said the investment will allow us to do things that are 'uninteresting' like fix the lift and speaker system.

Last edited:

I have had some patience, 49 years so far. I dont trust the current owners, the whole parachute money thing, the £10,000,000 investment that cant be spoken about, stripping the scouting team out, building it back up. They have been in charge of 3 transfer windows so far, what is it that inspires you about January?

I will always support the club, but still waiting for the piss taking party to stop, and that includes our 2 majority shareholders

Just look at the state of the playing side of the club. It's abysmal. The worst in the clubs history. They neglected a huge part of what can and should make the club better in scouting.

Oh and BTW if the owners aren't skint {in footballing terms} then why do we need investment? And why mention the investment will help fix lifts and speaker systems?

No I missed no part in the interview. I read he said the investment will allow us to do things that are 'uninteresting' like fix the lift and speaker system.

What are talking about man? They are spending money on the scouting system. The one we had when they got here was shit and was taking the piss. They've stripped it back to bare bones and put all the prep work in to start building a better one. Is that not what we want?

There's a difference between being "skint" and not having multi-billions at their disposal. The owners have the money to get us out of this league, the new investors have the sort of money that between them they could buy the whole bloody city if they wanted to. Surely you can't think it's a bad thing to be bringing in people with this kind of cash at their disposal?

You say you've missed nothing yet you seem to be ignoring large parts of it.

Just a few little quotes from the article about the lifts, speakers etc. and player recruitment in January:

"These all sound trivial but you add them all together and it’s actually quite a lot of work and quite a lot of money to put all these things right. So we’ve a long list of things that need to be put right to get Sunderland infrastructurally back in fighting shape."

"We’ve got plans for the recruitment side of things and a few appointments here and there which we think will really enable things to tick up another level. "

"So just little bits here or there to enable us to take things back in a positive direction having stripped it all back. That’s what this investment was always going to be about and it’s great to be able to have those positive conversations again about how can we now improve things, rather than how can we steady the ship and stop it sinking?"

"the board had a discussion with the manager when he came in and we made it clear that we would support him in the January transfer window - this is before that investment is made - really speaking, that was going to happen anyway. This investment isn’t about what we are going to be doing in January, that was going to happen in any case."

All sounds positive to me.

Last edited:
What are talking about man? They are spending money on the scouting system. The one we had when they got here was shit and was taking the piss. They've stripped it back to bare bones and put all the prep work in to start building a better one. Is that not what we want?

There's a difference between being "skint" and not having multi-billions at their disposal. The owners have the money to get us out of this league, the new investors have the sort of money that between them they could buy the whole bloody city if they wanted to. Surely you can't think it's a bad thing to be bringing in people with this kind of cash at their disposal?

Just a few little quotes from the article about the lifts, speakers etc. and player recruitment in January:

"These all sound trivial but you add them all together and it’s actually quite a lot of work and quite a lot of money to put all these things right. So we’ve a long list of things that need to be put right to get Sunderland infrastructurally back in fighting shape."

"We’ve got plans for the recruitment side of things and a few appointments here and there which we think will really enable things to tick up another level. "

"So just little bits here or there to enable us to take things back in a positive direction having stripped it all back. That’s what this investment was always going to be about and it’s great to be able to have those positive conversations again about how can we now improve things, rather than how can we steady the ship and stop it sinking?"

"the board had a discussion with the manager when he came in and we made it clear that we would support him in the January transfer window - this is before that investment is made - really speaking, that was going to happen anyway. This investment isn’t about what we are going to be doing in January, that was going to happen in any case."

Also me,we are all sick at the moment,i feel that a number of people on here are worried they will turn it round in jan.

You've clearly not read what I posted.
18 month later we decide we need a scouting system. It should have been a priority from day one. Here we are now with a poor squad that has cost more than any other squad in the division. I get cost cutting needed to happen in certain areas. Scouting should not have been one of those areas. You may be happy it's happening now, I'm not. It should have been happening from day one.
Also me,we are all sick at the moment,i feel that a number of people on here are worried they will turn it round in jan.
Absolute nonsense that mate. We all want us doing well. I have huge concerns about the people in charge and voicing those concerns doesn't mean I hope they fail.

Last edited:
Did you really just type that? People are worried we may turn it around? You need to see a doctor
Well why are people wailing and knashing of teeth.Facts are whether people like it or not especially now investment is here these owners will be here for a while yet.So page after page stating the same vitriolic shit is not going to change any thing at moment.Now if after 31st jan things havnt changed i will join the escapees from ryhope .

Well why are people wailing and knashing of teeth.Facts are whether people like it or not especially now investment is here these owners will be here for a while yet.So page after page stating the same vitriolic shit is not going to change any thing at moment.Now if after 31st jan things havnt changed i will join the escapees from ryhope .

I think it might be because we're absolutely shite, the worst we've EVER been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back