RR EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Methven discusses Sunderland’s investment, transfer window & scouting plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

"I'd ask the question to those people who step the line over to unpleasantness - if you do want someone new to come buy the club, do you think that they will be attracted by the thought of being spoken to and written about in this way?"

How can anyone sit and read that and think ‘fair enough?’

He’s making a mountain out of a molehill. There’s been barely any vitriolic criticism of this owenershp until recently. Any abusive stuff has been the minority.

This can easily be dealt with by saying to investors that you’re always going a get a few morons about the place, but the vast majority buy in to things if you give them something to get hold of.

Instead the minority is being shoved in the faces of investors as an actual common example of our supporter base. Stop telling everyone we’re a bunch of arseholes and investors won’t think we’re a bunch of arseholes.

The only value of this being said is to scare people into submission. If you keep saying things we don’t like then we won’t be able to sell the club. It’s rancid.

Last edited:
[snip]
He’s making a mountain out of a molehill. There’s been barely any vitriolic criticism of this owenershp until recently. Any abusive stuff has been the minority.
[snip]
Instead the minority is being shoved in the faces of investors as an actual common example of our supporter base. Stop telling everyone we’re a bunch of arseholes and investors won’t think we’re a bunch of arseholes.

The only value of this being said is to scare people into submission. If you keep saying things we don’t like then we won’t be able to sell the club. It’s rancid.

Methven makes exactly this point in the podcast.

It's not admiration that I have for them, it's just that I don't have any reason not to trust them. I certainly don't have any reason to get angry with them or to be unpleasant to them in any way, and I don't have such a high opinion of my own view of the situation that I feel like I should be questioning their every move with aggression the way some people have chosen to.

He's not shouting everyone down. He says repeatedly it's a tiny minority that are being unpleasant and that he feels that 98% of the fanbase are fantastic people, he's just requesting that folks be civil when they question them, rather than charging in with "unpleasantness and aggression".

He was just talking about it being one of the decisions they made when they arrived. When they came in they were looking at every aspect of the club for how they could cut costs, and if they'd chosen to drop the category of the academy it would have saved them millions a year, but they chose not to because they believe in the academy's ability to produce in the long-term, and they've got long-term hopes and plans for the club that wouldn't be helped by dropping to Cat 2 or 3.
Why even mention negative fans at all ! Every club has them is he and SD not big boys with some balls ? Or is crticism not for their delicate constitutions ? On that podcast he shouts down any crticism no matter how constructive ! Again do you trust them in January not to repeat the recruitment mistakes again ? Where does your amazing confidence in them to suddenly get it right, given the whole supporter base knows where the squad shortcomings lie, come from ?

Why even mention negative fans at all ! Every club has them is he and SD not big boys with some balls ? Or is crticism not for their delicate constitutions ? On that podcast he shouts down any crticism no matter how constructive ! Again do you trust them in January not to repeat the recruitment mistakes again ? Where does your amazing confidence in them to suddenly get it right, given the whole supporter base knows where the squad shortcomings lie, come from ?

He doesn't at all, he says the exact opposite in fact. He says he welcomes questions and constructive criticism but doesn't like it when that criticism is given in an unpleasant or aggressive way.

Again, it's not that I have absolute unwavering confidence in them to get it right, it's that I don't have a reason to doubt them yet. Everything they've done and everything they've said they plan to do, to me seems like they're trying to take the club in a positive direction. We're not there yet but the building blocks seem to be being put into place to make us a better club from top to bottom, and after years of poor recruitment and the club hemorrhaging money on a poor internal structure, I'm willing to wait and see what happens. It's not an overnight plan unfortunately, but for at least the time being I'm interested to see what their plan can do for us and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

He doesn't at all, he says the exact opposite in fact. He says he welcomes questions and constructive criticism but doesn't like it when that criticism is given in an unpleasant or aggressive way.

Again, it's not that I have absolute unwavering confidence in them to get it right, it's that I don't have a reason to doubt them yet. Everything they've done and everything they've said they plan to do, to me seems like they're trying to take the club in a positive direction. We're not there yet but the building blocks seem to be being put into place to make us a better club from top to bottom, and after years of poor recruitment and the club hemorrhaging money on a poor internal structure, I'm willing to wait and see what happens. It's not an overnight plan unfortunately, but for at least the time being I'm interested to see what their plan can do for us and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

he welcomes criticism but shouts it down and turns it on the fans?

mate, he doesn’t welcome shit but back patting.

Why mention it then ? It's to shut crticism of any kind out ! Anyway it's SD's job to be accountable for the club's plight not his PR lacky

How can you take that as your conclusion? It's the opposite of what he says.

Criticism is fine, he'd just prefer it if people would try not to be unpleasant or aggressive when they give that criticism. That's all he's saying.

"I'd ask the question to those people who step the line over to unpleasantness - if you do want someone new to come buy the club, do you think that they will be attracted by the thought of being spoken to and written about in this way?"

How can anyone sit and read that and think ‘fair enough?’

This can easily be dealt with by saying to investors that you’re always going a get a few morons about the place, but the vast majority buy in to things if you give them something to get hold of.

Deflection/divide and conquer technique. Its been going on months now and it's disgusting tbh.

Criticism is fine, he'd just prefer it if people would try not to be unpleasant or aggressive when they give that criticism. That's all he's saying.
Why does he keep saying it ? Did you support his post Charlton fan comments ? probably you did ! People are passionate about their club he isn't ! We are simply a business vehicle for them to make personal gain !

he’s saying it, but he’s not acting on it.

basically he treats ANY criticism as hostile and hides behind the threats malarkey.

At the same time we've been told we're in a "cracking state" financially and then now we're being told the investment will help with mundane things like lifts and speakers being fixed. It certainly doesn't sound like we've been in a cracking state.

I genuinely wish they'd never started with these podcasts tbh.

By cracking state I think what they meant was that the club is now at a point where it is breaking even, something that is very rare outside of the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back