Ex players that took up another profession when they retired from the game

After his shops - Shack became the sports reporter for the Sunday People. Another ex-player of ours wrote for the News of the World - Jackie Milburn

More for the oldies...

Alex Hastings - 262 SAFC apps and 2 Scottish caps years ago - Post Office and Shop in Seaburn next to the whatever it is now/will be hotel
Arthur Wright - 270 apps - Ran the Travellin Man pub in Boldon
Nicky Sharkey - 99 apps - Car Salesman (at Mill Garages I think)

He was the landlord of the Wheatsheaf in Spenny for a while, nice bloke. Not sure what went wrong but he walked out one day telling those in the bar to help themselves to what was left of the stock.
Sounds like Kerry Dixon when he had a pub in Dunstable
really surprised at that one. maybe he just wants something to fill his time but I’d have presumed des walker would be minted.
Top bloke is Des , always has been.

Last edited:
He was the landlord of the Wheatsheaf in Spenny for a while, nice bloke. Not sure what went wrong but he walked out one day telling those in the bar to help themselves to what was left of the stock.
Similar to Supermac-except he drank the stock himself
Another one for the oldies. Ex Mag and Scottish international Tony Green was a social worker, worked with a bloke I knew in the late 1980’s
Tony Green became a maths teacher near Backpool and also a member of the pools panel.

Back