Ex players that took up another profession when they retired from the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

No it's not. I recall the shop, it was in Holmside in the (then) town centre. The shop was actually called
Billy's Shughes ( am 90% certain), any other slightly old un's confirm?
Twas in Church Lane opposite the Empire. He may have opened another in Holmeside afterwards. He hadn’t retired either. I’d imaging he was more the front man in this.
.The Church Lane shop then I believe became a Sports Shop after he’d gone. Possibly Ty McGurks (Shields based iirc) before they moved round to Crowtree Red. I’m pretty sure that McGurks shop then became a record shop....possibly the one next to the old 29 and army navy store when that block was demolished.
Mind I’d flew south for summer 83 so its a bit hazy.

Dave Watson opened a lasses hairdressers somewhere between the infirmary and the town centre on Durham red. Must’ve been quick about it anarl cos he wasn’t around long after the cup win.

Last edited:
World cup winner Ray Wilson became an undertaker after leaving football.
Barry Horne became a physics teacher.
John Chiedozie runs a bouncy castle/soft play rental business.

Twas in Church Lane opposite the Empire. He may have opened another in Holmeside afterwards. He hadn’t retired either. I’d imaging he was more the front man in this.
.The Church Lane shop then I believe became a Sports Shop after he’d gone. Possibly Ty McGurks (Shields based iirc) before they moved round to Crowtree Red. I’m pretty sure that McGurks shop then became a record shop....possibly the one next to the old 29 and army navy store when that block was demolished.
Mind I’d flew south for summer 83 so its a bit hazy.

Dave Watson opened a lasses hairdressers somewhere between the infirmary and the town centre on Durham red. Must’ve been quick about it anarl cos he wasn’t around long after the cup win.
Didn't Willie Watson have sports shops as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back