Even Gooch says we need to adjust the model

But how? He literally played 3 games.

Edit: Misread as before this season :oops: And would agree he did well this season. But we're talking about selling Gooch last summer and relying on Huggins to step up.
Look I love Gooch to bits, he’s a class bloke, canny player. Strengths but definite weaknesses as we saw when Clarke mullered him. I do think we needed more experienced leadership this year but I do think Hume showed sufficient promise to be demanding a start so not sure Gooch would have played enough. As it happens Huggins was better. I’d possibly have kept him one more year. His physicality would have been better against for example the mags. I think we needed experienced leadership in midfield mainly where we are too naive. Up front we just needed pace and quality.

Selling LND was horrific. Yea he got injured hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let’s imagine he got fit and scored 20 goals in a league promotion season for saints.

Keeping LND and he gets injured again gets covered by insurance. It was the worst sign of lack of ambition getting rid of LND the replacements have been horrific. And to say because he got injured that decision was right is a joke to be honest at the point of sale no one knew.

Selling LND was 100% the right decision. Nobody knew at the time, but there was a huge chance he'd never come back anywhere near the same player. We are allowed to use hindsight!

Wouldn't surprise me if he never really played again.

Problem is Speakman is a bit of a fraud with no real understanding of people beyond manipulation.
Leaving the bairns to learn on the job is a flawed educational concept
Vygotsky nailed it with Zone of Proximal Learning
“the distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem-solving under adult guidance, or in collaboration with more capable peers” (Vygotsky, 1978, p. 86).
This is why we have got no better , Gooch is right in principal if not detail ( Stewart etc)
Well said and exactly right. It applies to any learning experience practical, physical, educational, mental.

He'd walk into this team ahead of Ba, Bennette, Aouchiche, Dack, Mundle...
We'd best peddle all of them then...oh wait.🤔
Disagree, Ba Aouchiche & Dack are all better than Gooch. Mundle & Bennette it’s too early to say but I’d be confident they’ll develop into better players.

None of the above are first choice here anyway.

Disagree, Ba Aouchiche & Dack are all better than Gooch. Mundle & Bennette it’s too early to say but I’d be confident they’ll develop into better players.

None of the above are first choice here anyway.
I was not a Gooch fan and pleased when he went but to suggest any of the above are at his level is way wide of the mark (much like their shooting :lol: )

As for mundle and bennette. Bennette can't get a game in Greece and neither will improve in this set up. They need help not just throwing in with a fellow group of kids and expected to work it out for themselves week in and week out. If anything we're failing them.

Its not The Model, its The Smokescreen.....a clever conception drummed up by KLD/KS back in 2021.........when you dont want to spend money at a club like Sunderland you have to try and deceive the fanbase....its genious

Back