Etherley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure yet mate gone is what I was told tonight they droped second team at start of season got reet battering off Tudhoe at weekend. Went their with our 18s last year no seniors to run them just of group of canny lads doing their best.

Sign of things to come imo, can see a restructuring of the second team league at least within 10 years or so. Few teams struggling to get teams out and basically fielding a team full of younguns

Can see a few second teams folding in the years to come

Sign of things to come imo, can see a restructuring of the second team league at least within 10 years or so. Few teams struggling to get teams out and basically fielding a team full of younguns

Can see a few second teams folding in the years to come

Senior league to form a second division next year. Will cause havoc in County and Coast league

i play for bishop but etherley is basically 2 mins up the road from my house, we have signed a few lads from them because they could see they were going to pack in. they dont have any junior teams i dont think anymore and only have a first team but they struggle to get 11 out. Sad really, but its a sign of things to come, people now would rather get bladdered on a friday night and not be able to play on a saturday:confused:

i play for bishop but etherley is basically 2 mins up the road from my house, we have signed a few lads from them because they could see they were going to pack in. they dont have any junior teams i dont think anymore and only have a first team but they struggle to get 11 out. Sad really, but its a sign of things to come, people now would rather get bladdered on a friday night and not be able to play on a saturday:confused:

Aye mate was a poor wicket but always had a proper village feel about it

Round our way we have Horden, Easington, Peterlee, Blackhall all in a 3 mile radios or so then the likes of Seaham, Seaham park and Dawdon just up the road

Not enough people playing after junior level to get teams out for all nowadays, its really nee good to be filling teams up with youngun just to make up the numbers

3 games into the season at Horden and the second 11 had two people playing on Saturday who were over 18 and had to pull 5 or so under 15's in to make the numbers up

Round our way we have Horden, Easington, Peterlee, Blackhall all in a 3 mile radios or so then the likes of Seaham, Seaham park and Dawdon just up the road

Not enough people playing after junior level to get teams out for all nowadays, its really nee good to be filling teams up with youngun just to make up the numbers

3 games into the season at Horden and the second 11 had two people playing on Saturday who were over 18 and had to pull 5 or so under 15's in to make the numbers up

Even Esh have had to resign their 15s in our league Jack Burnam a real prospect has had to come to us to get a game at 15s level

I'm surprised that more havnt folded by now to be honest.

I've always wondered why more teams havnt joined together, obviously some wouldn't be happy about it, but on a purely competitive level it would make things alot better, improve 1st teams and 2nd teams. When I was playing junior cricket I was the only actual right aged under 18 in our tea
, rest were under 15's or under 16's, although good players.

On the other hand though throwing youngun's into mens teams at a early age can for some improve their game,

I'm surprised that more havnt folded by now to be honest.

I've always wondered why more teams havnt joined together, obviously some wouldn't be happy about it, but on a purely competitive level it would make things alot better, improve 1st teams and 2nd teams. When I was playing junior cricket I was the only actual right aged under 18 in our tea
, rest were under 15's or under 16's, although good players.

On the other hand though throwing youngun's into mens teams at a early age can for some improve their game,

And on the other destroy there confidence

And on the other destroy there confidence

I take the great Matt Busby's way of thinking - if they're good enough, they're old enough. I played senior cricket from the age of 14, we've had some dark days at Brandon over the last 5 years too and I've found that you learn more in defeat than you do in victory. You learn to appreciate winning a bit more when you aren't used to it too. To be honest, as harsh as it may be, youngsters will learn to cope with getting beat and it breeds mental toughness. If you wrap them in cotton wool they'll not learn.

Sad news about Etherley but things looked bleak as soon as they'd wrapped their 2nd team in. Atleast now on the date we're meant to play them we can have our Twenty20 funday!

Once a club stops putting out junior teams they're fucked really. Disagree with R&WR in that I think a few years down the line the sport's problem won't be the amount of senior players playing, it'll be the amount of juniors coming through.

Now cricket's been taken off the telly how many 8 year old lads could name three cricketers? Didn't matter if they missed a few overs for Hollyoaks, Channel 4 were great for the sport.

Why is it so many are struggling for numbers. Has there been a mass population exodus from the NE? What does a an average playing membership cost these days?

I take the great Matt Busby's way of thinking - if they're good enough, they're old enough. I played senior cricket from the age of 14, we've had some dark days at Brandon over the last 5 years too and I've found that you learn more in defeat than you do in victory. You learn to appreciate winning a bit more when you aren't used to it too. To be honest, as harsh as it may be, youngsters will learn to cope with getting beat and it breeds mental toughness. If you wrap them in cotton wool they'll not learn.

Sad news about Etherley but things looked bleak as soon as they'd wrapped their 2nd team in. Atleast now on the date we're meant to play them we can have our Twenty20 funday!

Completley correct.
I played mens cricket from 14 too, and vie played in some teams that only won once a season (houghton about 5 years back) and you appreciate winning more, and if you are participating, scoring runs or taking wickets, then doubly so.

Why is it so many are struggling for numbers. Has there been a mass population exodus from the NE? What does a an average playing membership cost these days?

The problem lies, as NCB said, with no cricket being on terestrial television. I got into cricket because I watched it on a weekend during the summer purely because there was nothing else on TV. Moved up into secondary school and there was absolutely no cricket set-up. I think we must have played about 3 weeks a year in P.E (with Kwik Cricket stuff anarl) so had to join a club off my own back. Went to Whitburn youths, thinking I'd know no-one but there was a few in my school from there. Playing against teams you'd see people from school but the school had no interest in setting a team up. Unless you come from a family that has links to a cricket club, or have a mate that plays cricket there is no way of getting kids involved much these days. Sadly.

There are teams out there with a thriving youth set-up (Washington for example) and while it's good to see, it's also rare.

Moved up into secondary school and there was absolutely no cricket set-up. I think we must have played about 3 weeks a year in P.E (with Kwik Cricket stuff anarl) so had to join a club off my own back. Went to Whitburn youths, thinking I'd know no-one but there was a few in my school from there. Playing against teams you'd see people from school but the school had no interest in setting a team up. Unless you come from a family that has links to a cricket club, or have a mate that plays cricket there is no way of getting kids involved much these days. Sadly.

I've just wrote an essay similiar to this, then realised you'd posted the same thing. It's the reason I've only recently taken up the sport.

We have a tip top youth set up to be honest we needed it during the last few years. Took my lad to cricket since about 11 he has played at all levels and is into cricket because I got off my arse and took him to play in the North East Durham League at 13. If parents are not into sport it tends to impact on the young person, however its great when kids just turn up to see whats going on and are drawn into cricket.

10 pund adults 5 pund under 16s worth every penny

there are less teams now as one alot of teams were setup from the basis of work teams, social clubs and pit villages.TBH there was probably too many in the area to begin with. People will always put it down to sky having cricket coverage but the fact is most of the nation have sky tv even in the poorest areas you always see sky dishes up.

The main problem is that socially in the last 10-15 years things have changed. More and more people have to work on a weekend just doing their normal shift where as in previous years working on a weekend for most would have been over-time, costs for clubs have significantly gone up, there is more and more pressure on lads to stay at home with their wife and kids where as before it would have been expected that on one day over a weekend you would be with your mates.
Other things such as the football seasons being increasingly extended hasn't helped and there are far more other sports out there to do on a weekend. Computers and video games haven't helped bring alot of juniors out either.

Clubs will keep going a few will fold as they have been built on old ways. For instance Belmont 2nd team the other week was mainly made up of experienced men in a few years time will they still have a 2nd team as they aren't promoting or introducing enough young players. Sometimes clubs don't help themsleves and just run it into the ground you most certainly need a youth team these days to keep a club running for years to come.

from a north east point of veiw I really think some leagues should put there games on a Sunday as this is still by far the best day for people having time off from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back