Escape From Sobibor

I am fascinated yet appalled by the atrocities of that regime.

Auchwitz has been on my list of things to do for quite a while and I must get round to it. My sister is a history teacher at a comp in Northumberland somewhere and has been a couple of times with students. Says its amazing yet chilling.

Was fortunate that my school ran a trip to northern France when I was in year 10, visited the D-Day beaches and the cemeteries etc. Definitely want to do that again as I think it’s unbeliveably interesting and humbling.

As @James says, get the train and wander around yourself. Make a point of going into the country specific museums in Auschwitz as these offer more of an overall insight into what went on. The Polish, Hungarian & Czech ones are particularly chilling as is the the childrens room in the French one. Some of the organised tours miss these out as they hurry you around. I'd also recommend you take a full day at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

If you haven't already seen it, watch Shoah. Its a documentary about the death camps in Poland. It features Chelmno, Treblinka, Auschwitz and the Warsaw Ghetto. Mind you, its about 9 hours long so needs to be watched in segments. Claude Lanzmann, the Director, also did a documentary called Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. which is about the uprising there.

Back