English players in IPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleem Dar

Striker
Given EBs theory that we should be better represented in the IPL, I decided to have a gander at who would be playing in the IPL this year and the following are:

Stuart Broad (Kings XI Punjab)
Paul Collingwood (Rajasthan Royals)
Michael Lumb (Deccan Chargers)
Dimitri Mascarenhas (Kings XI Punjab)
Eoin Morgan (Kolkata Knight Riders)
Kevin Pietersen (Dehli Daredevils)

And the following went unsold for the 2012 'season':

James Anderson, Graeme Swann, Ian Bell, Matt Prior, Ravi Bopara, Owais Shah and Luke Wright.

The list of those contracted - only Broad, Morgan and Pietersen are 'shoe-ins' for the IT20 team. And Swann, Prior and probably Bopara and Wright are 'useful' selections. Makes you wonder why Kieswetter and maybe Samit Patel aren't putting themselves up for auction.

Given we're the world IT20 champions, why aren't teams taking a chance on Swann, Prior and Bopara? Is the English achillies heel of slow pitches that well known now?

The Bangladesh Premier League would also assist.

Is there anything stopping an up and coming player like Taylor playing some first class cricket in any of the Asian countries during our winter.

In the past the ultimate test was to go and play in Australia, I think that is now not the case and the batsman who went to Asia to play off their own backs would come back better players for it.

This would lead to a more successful England cricket team in the medium term.

Is there anything stopping an up and coming player like Taylor playing some first class cricket in any of the Asian countries during our winter.

In the past the ultimate test was to go and play in Australia, I think that is now not the case and the batsman who went to Asia to play off their own backs would come back better players for it.

I know you have given a lot of thought to this and certainly the more cricket any of our batsmen play in those conditions has to help. I'm not sure it will help a great deal though - in 20/20 its pretty easy to pick up ones and twos with deep set fields and I dont think our players would have too much trouble doing that or indeed hitting big shots. From the little i saw the biggest issue was shot selection with close fields on slow pitches and its difficult to replicate that.

That said it has to be of some benefit.

The lads would be more likely to play in the Bangali league too. Manyier time our lads have been sitting on the bench at the IPL. Which is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back