4.Morgan
5.Kieswetter
6.Bopara
7.Patel
8.Bresnan
9.Broad
10.Swann (Capt)
11.Finn

If Kieswetter's in I think he'll open although he's done well lower down the order for the Lions. I'd also play Buttler instead of Bopara, think he's had enough chances and Buttler is in really good nick on spinning pitches.

Cricinfo reckons Briggs will be in the squad rather than Borthwick which would be no surprise, he looks a lot tighter at the minute.

If Kieswetter's in I think he'll open although he's done well lower down the order for the Lions. I'd also play Buttler instead of Bopara, think he's had enough chances and Buttler is in really good nick on spinning pitches.

Cricinfo reckons Briggs will be in the squad rather than Borthwick which would be no surprise, he looks a lot tighter at the minute.

the word going round is that KP will open and Keiswetter has been batting 5 for the lions so its pretty likely that will happen. Buttler has scored two 100's in 4 games and should be in but you know what our selectors/coach is like with the ODI team so will probably go with a cautious pick that being Bopara also because he offers something with the ball.

Cook
KP
Kieswetter (wk)
Trott
Morgan
Buttler
Patel
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Finn

Bopara, Briggs and Dernbach in reserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colly's boots will be tough to fill.

Very true. I just think as long as both Cook/Trott are in the team you need that extra batsmen to excelerate, drop one and you can fit Patel in as a 2nd spinner. But would still need 10 overs from him and KP. A fully fit Stokes would make it interesting with, Kieswetter/Buttler/Bairstow given all 3 can keep wicket, he could replace one of them.
Cook, Kp, Stokes, Morgan, Kieswetter(wk), Buttler, Patel, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, finn
team for India ODI's assuming Stokes recovers fully. A risk at 3 but gives him time to play himself in.

Jos Buttler has to be picked for this squad, 1 day stats are amazing.
Runs- 1277 Average- 70.94 S/R-125.81

Last edited:
Must pick at least one of Bairstow and Buttler, and I'd still be tempted to pick Bopara for his bowling - NCB has made a great point about Colly, a year on and no one has been able to replace what he offered with bat and ball.

Cook
KP
Trott
Bopara
Morgan
Bairstow
Patel
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Finn

Still very tempted to play someone else ahead of Bopara, that team does not pick itself whatsoever which goes to show what little progress England have made in ODI's recently.

england are desperately in need of an all rounder in the test side IMO, let alone the one day side. asking trott to bowl ten overs in an odi is basically asking the batsman to up their strike rate by 10 or 20%, batting trott or cook is doing the same, batting both whilst bowling trott and kp and you might as well ask them to double the target.

as was pointed out by boycott [as much as he can be a tool sometimes] who ever remembers the result or performances in one day series, we must use this as a breeding ground for future quality performances in world cups and test series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back