England world cup squad

Yeah, spot on. He might blow batsmen away and be just what we need to win the thing but I think it’s equally, if not more likely he won’t live up the hype.

Paddy Power has him at 18/1 to be man of the tournament which I can’t decide if it says everything, or is actually value!

It feels to me like the media are setting expectations unrealistically high as they usually do with our national sides around tournaments, and as usual we’ll gloriously fail to meet them, yet all the while there is something about this side and their achievements which is so far from the usual that if makes me feel that this time may just be different.

I can’t wait anyway.

For me, he looks a good prospect and offers us something a bit different but he's unproven at international level. With Wood fit, I don't think it was that crucial to fit him in the squad anyway and it was always going to be harsh to leave out one of the established bowlers. Dawson is the wrong pick though, not Archer.

For me, he looks a good prospect and offers us something a bit different but he's unproven at international level. With Wood fit, I don't think it was that crucial to fit him in the squad anyway and it was always going to be harsh to leave out one of the established bowlers. Dawson is the wrong pick though, not Archer.
Agreed. I’m still slightly uneasy at the rate that Archer has been promoted to ‘superstar’, but hopefully he justifies it.

Maybe, as Morgan said after the other day, injuries or illness may see Willey called up at some point anyway.

Yeah, spot on. He might blow batsmen away and be just what we need to win the thing but I think it’s equally, if not more likely he won’t live up the hype.

Paddy Power has him at 18/1 to be man of the tournament which I can’t decide if it says everything, or is actually value!

It feels to me like the media are setting expectations unrealistically high as they usually do with our national sides around tournaments, and as usual we’ll gloriously fail to meet them, yet all the while there is something about this side and their achievements which is so far from the usual that if makes me feel that this time may just be different.

I can’t wait anyway.

Harsh to say he’s done nothing with the bat, he’s made some valuable contributions over the last couple of years.
Really hasn't. Everytime he's been promoted he fails

Tries to hit the ball too hard. If he could temper his innings he'd be much better. But he's had too many chances to do that.

Think hes harshly dropped. Curran would have dropped out for me, even though he has been in form. Willey opening spells offer something the rest don't.

Really hasn't. Everytime he's been promoted he fails

Tries to hit the ball too hard. If he could temper his innings he'd be much better. But he's had too many chances to do that.

Think hes harshly dropped. Curran would have dropped out for me, even though he has been in form. Willey opening spells offer something the rest don't.
True. It's fair to say his batting for England doesn't match what he's done for Yorkshire but I seem to recall him playing a couple of important innings with the bat at least and I maintain that it's harsh to say he's done nothing.

True. It's fair to say his batting for England doesn't match what he's done for Yorkshire but I seem to recall him playing a couple of important innings with the bat at least and I maintain that it's harsh to say he's done nothing.

He played an important role in the T20 final like

No arguments. Willy blows hot and cold with the ball and has done nothing with the bat. Denly is just not very good.

Denly is good like just picked for the wrong role

He averaged over 70 last year

I’d have picked archer but some of the comments in media were mad

Butcher for example totally dismissed wood like he was nothing, then he came in and bowled quicker

Last edited:
Just think the left arm variation Willey brings, as well as his ability to swing the ball, adds a lot more to the squad than Dawson being a 3rd choice spinner. If Ali or Rashid don’t play for whatever reason, would they go Dawson or put in an additional seamer?

Even if they wanted Dawson in as spin cover, I’d have Willey over Curran simply due to that variation, and as I believe Nasser said on Sunday - some games are starting 10.30am. English conditions, early starts - the ball could move around a bit and for me I’d have Willey in there to try and make the most of that with his extra variation.

Wood and Archer were certainties for me, and Plunkett and Woakes have done enough to warrant a place in the 15 man squad at the very least.

It’s great though that we have the strength to leave our players such as Willey (and Hales)

Last edited:
I agree with the 3rd spinner in the squad. With Stokes there we have plenty of seam options, and IMO there is more chance of there being a dust bowl later in the tournament than the white ball suddenly starting to hoop round corners, which Willey would need.

All about opinions though, and could look daft if it does swing I suppose.

I think people are overstating the left arm option like, it’s a negligible difference and the standard Willey is currently bowling at is a decent way off the rest of them in the squad.

Tough call, but the right one imo.

He played an important role in the T20 final like

Denly is good like just picked for the wrong role

He averaged over 70 last year

I’d have picked archer but some of the comments in media were mad

Butcher for example totally dismissed wood like he was nothing, then he came in and bowled quicker

Been poor how the pundits have dismissed Wood as soon as Archer's come on the scene. The majority of them had Wood out of the squad, completely forgetting that he's arguably quicker than Archer and bowled seriously well in the Windies on pitches with little pace. Seemed to look at his ODI average rather than what he offers and current form.

Been poor how the pundits have dismissed Wood as soon as Archer's come on the scene. The majority of them had Wood out of the squad, completely forgetting that he's arguably quicker than Archer and bowled seriously well in the Windies on pitches with little pace. Seemed to look at his ODI average rather than what he offers and current form.

absolutely

they've all got absolutely carried away on like 23 overs he has bowled, been pretty poor

Fair enough have him in the squad, but he hasn't done anything to show he is better than Wood, as you say Wood is quicker.

At least wait till he actually does something before this praise

I can’t wait anyway.

Harsh to say he’s done nothing with the bat, he’s made some valuable contributions over the last couple of years.

I can think of maybe one?

absolutely

they've all got absolutely carried away on like 23 overs he has bowled, been pretty poor

Fair enough have him in the squad, but he hasn't done anything to show he is better than Wood, as you say Wood is quicker.

At least wait till he actually does something before this praise
Maybe some pundits have went over the top but you know it wasn't just because of 23 overs. It's because he was excellent for Sussex and then went around the world performing really well in many of the top tournaments like the IPL. He bowls around 90mph and has good variations. Pretty good reasons to get in the squad imo.

I feel they will rotate him and Wood for most of the tournament and try to keep both bowlers bowling at 90mph plus through to the final, if we get there. I bet they average out at about the same pace overall.

Maybe some pundits have went over the top but you know it wasn't just because of 23 overs. It's because he was excellent for Sussex and then went around the world performing really well in many of the top tournaments like the IPL. He bowls around 90mph and has good variations. Pretty good reasons to get in the squad imo.

I feel they will rotate him and Wood for most of the tournament and try to keep both bowlers bowling at 90mph plus through to the final, if we get there. I bet they average out at about the same pace overall.

Wood is defs quicker from his longer run up, bowled quicker here and in the Windies, maybe that will come down over a longer period though.

Fair points, I don't have any issues with Archer at all, its just slightly annoyed me some of the stuff thats all.

Wood is defs quicker from his longer run up, bowled quicker here and in the Windies, maybe that will come down over a longer period though.

Fair points, I don't have any issues with Archer at all, its just slightly annoyed me some of the stuff thats all.
You know what pundits are like though. Especially when momentum builds behind a player like this, they inevitably go over the top. Hopefully if Archer has a couple of poor games this doesn't come back to bite him as we also know that the media is a double edged sword and Archer is new to International cricket and the England team.

You know what pundits are like though. Especially when momentum builds behind a player like this, they inevitably go over the top. Hopefully if Archer has a couple of poor games this doesn't come back to bite him as we also know that the media is a double edged sword and Archer is new to International cricket and the England team.

Aye, there were 5 or 6 double page spreads in the tabloids and broadsheets interviewing Hameed at the time, all saying he would be opening for the next 15years

I said at the time Hameed should keep his head down and the columnists were talking shite.

Seen England's WC kit, 1992 style, its class

Last edited:
People seem to be just focussing on Archer been quick, but he also a excellent bowler at the death which could become vitally important.

He was always going to play, harsh on anyone left out.

But fanastic England are actually in this position in the first place.

Back