England World Cup Player Ratings

scotch

Striker
Bairstow - 3 - 2x 50's from 9 knocks just wasnt good enough for arguably our best ever ODI opener
Malan - 8 - Top scorer, matchwinning knock against Bangladesh and a couple 50's and contributions in other games
Root - 5 - 3x 50's but nothing in the other 6 matches, surprisingly underbowled
Stokes - 8 - 2x match winning knocks, top scorer in our defeats against Australia, only failed in 2 out of 6 innings
Buttler - 1 - atrocious with the bat, some baffling and stupid decisions at the toss, time to give up the Captaincy Joss
Brook - 5 - A classy knock against Afghanistan and good 30 at the end against Pakistan, should have played more games.
Livingstone - 2 - Contributed nothing with the bat and bowling was patchy
Curran - 1 - looked completely ineffective with the ball and out of form with the bat
Ali - 5 - bowling was tidy but only got wickets at the end of the tournament, offered little with the bat
Woakes - 7 - actually bowled very well in the last 4 games after a shocking first 3 games, provided a crucial 51 with the bat against the Dutvh
Rashid - 7 - Bowled decently and consistently and still has something to offer this side, batted decently as well given all th practice he got.
Wood - 4 - Bowled quIck and was unlucky at times but Bangladesh game aside he was expensive
Willey - 8 - Our best bowler in the tournament and offered quick runs at the end without a big contribution.
Atkinson - 7 - Bowled well and should have played more than 3 games, good prospect to replace Wood longterm if he can keep his speeds up
Topley - 8 - 8 wickets in 3 games, big loss for England and should have played the 1st game, will come again if he can stay fit.

Bairstow 3 looked out of touch scored less than a run a ball.
Malan 6 scored his big runs v the poorest attacks scores 4s of bad balls but never takes it away from the opposition.
Root 5 scratchy and nowhere near his free flowing best.
Stokes 7 good innings last could have games but his selection and lack of all round ability damaged the team.
Butler awful with the bat, crazy decisions at time to soft as a captain.
Livingstone 1 not at international cricketer.
Curran 1 same.
Brook 4 poor not transferred his other format form but one for the future.
Ali 3 poor with bat and ball finished should retire.
Woakes 6 starters poorly got better.
Rashid 8 excellent as usual.
Wood 4 very poor never seen him so inaccurate.
Topley 8 bowled well questions remain about his fitness.
Wiley 8 good swing bowling.
Atkinson 7 signs of promise.

Bairstow - 0.5 for someone billed as "one of the best" in his role, he had a stinker. Slow scoring rate often put us straight on the back foot, and his usual recklessness saw some dumb dismissals. Should've taken Roy
Malan - 7 pick of the batters, though that's not saying much. Couple of decent scores, good ton, but often got a start and got out
Root - 4 expensive when given the ball. Started OK but then turned to shite with the bat
Stokes - 7 shouldn't have gone, but his class shown through in the end
Butler - -5. An absolute stinker. Abysmal with the bat, appalling captain.
Livingstone - 2 don't think he's international class
Curran - 2 just didn't click, despite a promising start with the ball. He's always been feast or famine with the bat - this time, it was like the Holodomor with his famine
Brook - 5 couple of decent knocks. Should've been given more opportunities. Criminal not to play him, especially once the wheels started coming off
Ali - 2 absolutely finished.
Woakes - 4 did OK in the last couple games, but was appalling at the start. Crippled us from the get-go
Rashid - 7 Rash was Rash. Gets wickets. Very economical too, for a leggie
Wood - 3 just seemed to have no control. Went all over the park too often. Lacks variation
Topley - 9 standout player of the tournament for me. His injury record is gut wrenching. Class act
Willey - 8 class. Swings the new ball, has the variations when it gets old. Treated disgustingly with regards to the central contracts
Atkinson - 7.5. Bowled well when given the chance. Definitely one for the future, although lack of 50 over cricket showed at times

Mott - not even worth a rating. Get him peddled.

Stokes and Malan are the only England batsmen to make the top 50 for batting averages at the world cup. For me they are the only ones that performed well. I'd give them both a 7. All other batsmen get less than 5 for me. Buttler was terrible as captain and batsman.

Our bowlers certainly did better overall than our batsmen with Topley, Willey, Woakes and Rashid all doing pretty well. Topley had our best average but missed a number of games. Just behind him was Willey. He has been our consistently best bowler throughout which is ironic given how badly he's been treated. Wood was too expensive and Atkinson did ok but would like to have seen more from him.

Stokes and Malan are the only England batsmen to make the top 50 for batting averages at the world cup. For me they are the only ones that performed well. I'd give them both a 7. All other batsmen get less than 5 for me. Buttler was terrible as captain and batsman.

Our bowlers certainly did better overall than our batsmen with Topley, Willey, Woakes and Rashid all doing pretty well. Topley had our best average but missed a number of games. Just behind him was Willey. He has been our consistently best bowler throughout which is ironic given how badly he's been treated. Wood was too expensive and Atkinson did ok but would like to have seen more from him.
Bloody hell.

Bairstow 3
Malan 7
Root 3
Stokes 7
Brook 5
Buttler 2
Livingstone 3
Modern 4
Woakes 5
Willey 7
Rashid 6
Curran 2
Wood 3
Topley 7
Atkinson 5

The bowlers by and large weren’t too bad especially towards the end of the tournament but the batting dear me what a disaster. Usual reliable players like Bairstow, Root and Buttler were absolutely terrible and not something you could really predict prior to the World Cup.

Bairstow 3
Malan 7
Root 3
Stokes 7
Brook 5
Buttler 2
Livingstone 3
Modern 4
Woakes 5
Willey 7
Rashid 6
Curran 2
Wood 3
Topley 7
Atkinson 5

The bowlers by and large weren’t too bad especially towards the end of the tournament but the batting dear me what a disaster. Usual reliable players like Bairstow, Root and Buttler were absolutely terrible and not something you could really predict prior to the World Cup.

I'd be tempted to give Rashid 7 or 8, and Livingstone fuck all along with Dross Butler. But apart from that pretty accurate

Bairstow 3
Malan 7
Root 3
Stokes 7
Brook 5
Buttler 2
Livingstone 3
Modern 4
Woakes 5
Willey 7
Rashid 6
Curran 2
Wood 3
Topley 7
Atkinson 5

I agree!

Buttler been our best white ball cricketer ever, Bairstow probably our best opener ever, and Root throughout his career pure class cricketer.

Nobody but nobody could have predicted them 3 in particular would have performed as badly.

All 3 massively below their normal standards

Bairstow 3.5
Malan 7.5
Root 4
Stokes 6
Brook 5
Buttler 1
Livingstone 3
Mo 3
Woakes 5
Willey 7
Rashid 6
Curran 2
Wood 2
Topley 7
Atkinson 5

All bang or just above average

My player for was malan only one who really looked like he could bat

topley was a big loss and I think missing him was a huge difference.

This will be the last World Cup for many of these time to see what the younger lot can do

Need to look to the future and build a squad for the next World Cup

Buttler needs to step down

I know we said players but if we were to mark management then Mott and Key get a zero for me.

Bad preparation, poor treatment of Willey, terrible excuses by Key. Squad picked based on favourites rather than form with clealry little thought to the next generation of players. The cherry on the cake was Mott admitting half way through the tournament that he didnt realise we needed to finish in the top 8 to qualify for the champions trophy. Embarrassing.

Bairstow - 3, struggled badly and failed to build any kind of the platform.
Malan - 7, pick of the batters.
Root - 2, a terrible tournament. Scratched about without finding form.
Stokes - 7, warmed up before showing his class in the last few games.
Brook - 5, underwhelming but probably should have played more. One for the future.
Buttler - 1, no runs and had a shocker as captain.
Livingstone - 3, looks like a slogger. Bowls handy off-spin but doubt he's international class.
Ali - 3, totally ineffective with bat and ball. His bowling improved slightly at the end.
Woakes - 5, started awfully before pulling things back.
Curran - 1, did nothing with bat or ball. Has time on his side but needs to start showing something in ODIs.
Wood - 3, had no control and lacked variation.
Willey - 8, put in some valiant performances after coming into the side. Treated incredibly poorly.
Atkinson - 6, lack of experience in the format sometimes showed, but has promise.
Rashid - 7, solid and consistent as always.
Topley - 8, standout performer before his injury.

Last edited:

Back