England v Windies 1991

Can you remember what touring players who played for counties did? For example, when West Indies toured, would Walsh and Ambrose have bowled for their counties in between Tests? I’m assuming not, but I can’t remember.
No, generally they had a year off from playing for their counties because in those days, the touring teams played loads of county games
I think that one of the reasons Dean Jones only played that one year from DCCC was that he was expected to be in The Ashes squad for 1993. Happy to be corrected by other on here though....

Edit. Looks like I was right

Durham were so sure he would be picked for the 1993 Ashes they signed a replacement before discovering otherwise.

Last edited:

Just watched the 95 game on iplayer. Was one of few tests I missed in 90s as was on holiday in France and the car radio couldn’t pick up LW

Few things: Had forgotten how good Thorpe was but lads from both sides didn’t half like pulling from a yard outside off in those days; Lara was peerless around this period; fielding was awful

Also, why the hell was an ancient, over weight John Embuary playing?

Yeah, it was one of Lord MacLaurin's better changes was to enforce the use of Blue Helmets across the team. In the early 90s you had all sorts - players generally just used their county helmets. If you look closely, Gooch had the Essex logo on his ear protectors. After the 1992 World Cup, some of them used the light blue helmets in test matches and there was one (I forget who) batted in a red helmet!
Always remember stewie had white.
Gooch too.

Iirc Steven Rhodes even used his green worcester one when he played for england!!

Always remember stewie had white.
Gooch too.

Iirc Steven Rhodes even used his green worcester one when he played for england!!
Loads had white - Gooch, Stewart, Atherton, Hick, Botham, Pringle, Gough, Malcolm
Hussain used to bat in his Essex blue (in the early days)

To be honest, in those days I think it was a case of you got your England Cap, Sweater and t-shirt but provided your own gear. You couldn't even buy replica kit for years and years

Back