England v Windies 1991

At Headingley, anyone watch one BBC2? (I’m sure will be on iplayer).

Great innings from Gooch, but what I took from it was just how plodding DeFreitas, Watkin and Pringle were. They looked like they could barely hit the pitch!

Pringle wasn't good enough to watch it. Bloody awful player.

We had them teetering on the brink of disaster at Edgbaston too. We were only 25 ahead with two second innings wickets left at stumps on the Saturday.

We then eked out 125 for the last two wickets (Chris Lewis whacking 60 something), and having set them 151, Phil de Freitas ripped through the top order to leave them 24 for 3 and Edgbaston rocking.

We then dropped a dolly that would've been 28 for 4 and Richards done the rest. A superb day's cricket, though, after 3 days of pretty average to poor stuff from England.

Last edited:
Watching it now. One thing I noticed is our batsmen wearing after 4 different styles/colours of helmets. Looks really sloppy.

1998. Beating South Africa and losing in the one off test to Sri Lanka. C4’s first summer was the New Zealand debacle in 1999.
Thought it was around that time, last free to air test matches was the 2005 ashes on channel 4 wasn’t it ?

Watching it now. One thing I noticed is our batsmen wearing after 4 different styles/colours of helmets. Looks really sloppy.

1998. Beating South Africa and losing in the one off test to Sri Lanka. C4’s first summer was the New Zealand debacle in 1999.
Yeah, it was one of Lord MacLaurin's better changes was to enforce the use of Blue Helmets across the team. In the early 90s you had all sorts - players generally just used their county helmets. If you look closely, Gooch had the Essex logo on his ear protectors. After the 1992 World Cup, some of them used the light blue helmets in test matches and there was one (I forget who) batted in a red helmet!

Yeah, it was one of Lord MacLaurin's better changes was to enforce the use of Blue Helmets across the team. In the early 90s you had all sorts - players generally just used their county helmets. If you look closely, Gooch had the Essex logo on his ear protectors. After the 1992 World Cup, some of them used the light blue helmets in test matches and there was one (I forget who) batted in a red helmet!
Probably emphasises that pre central contracts, England players were county players who also played for England. Not England players.

Definitely. How often did a Test Match finish on a Monday, then all 11 players were playing for their counties the next day?
Can you remember what touring players who played for counties did? For example, when West Indies toured, would Walsh and Ambrose have bowled for their counties in between Tests? I’m assuming not, but I can’t remember.

Back