England v India (2nd test) Lords

that was the right call

I’ve not heard one person say it wasn’t

yeah In his defence he is always in early so Maybe he thinks he can’t do that

pant always has more runs from his top order

I do know what you mean though

there would need be acceptance from the fans like
Tbf I was surprised by choosing to bowl, even with the cloud cover. Imo, kohli would have bowled because he is aware or how weak the batting order is.

Personally I think the players as a whole need to take the blame for that final innings, not the captain, not the scheduling, not the ECB.

Two rank tail enders looked comfortable on a fifth day wicket for the opposition

Yet we totally collapsed and surrendered on it, utter disgrace.

That should just be accepted rather than looking for excuses

Last edited:
Personally I think the players as a whole need to take the blame for that final innings, not the captain, not the scheduling, not the ECB.

Two rank tail enders looked comfortable on a fifth day wicket for the opposition

agree but that doesn't excuse the "batting"

Tbf I was surprised by choosing to bowl, even with the cloud cover. Imo, kohli would have bowled because he is aware or how weak the batting order is.
I was at the time but it was vindicated I think when you saw the conditions we batted in first up compared to them. They batted brilliantly to get there first innings total and our middle order should have ensured we got an even bigger total first time around.

I do agree, let’s face it we all knew what was coming. When the going gets tough, our players get out, and that is a huge concern.

My post about the schedule was more to do with the bigger picture. We’ve got players who are either not good enough, or badly out of form. The problem with the domestic schedule is that there’s no meaningful cricket being played. In the middle of the big summer test series, we’ve got players domestically having 2 weeks without any kind of cricket.

Does this excuse the lack of application or fight yesterday? Absolutely not. However, it 100% prevents us from looking at other options to come in.

I read a piecd by Rob key in standard last week that was interesting

he says you have to play in your captains image , it’s the only way it works

now I know some people will bemoan this as it’s going back more to the Baylis era and they are probably right, but England don’t have players who play like root, they seem to pick people who walk in cement and have the world on their shoulders

agree to an extent but the bowling was world class

they had 4 world class bowlers bang on form with no let up, they got selection spot on and the gamble of sharma at 8 paid off

I keep reading so much about numbers 7s. 6s etc

I dunno why we keep doing this. The problem is our top 3

they don’t score any runs, literally. They are supposed to be the rock of your team

yet people ignore that and say drop Buttler because he only averages 35 or someit

that’s not the issue and never has been
I was at the time but it was vindicated I think when you saw the conditions we batted in first up compared to them. They batted brilliantly to get there first innings total and our middle order should have ensured we got an even bigger total first time around.

absolutely

the toss was no issue their openers batted brilliantly

seems a reluctance to acknowledge that for some reason

thank god we didn’t bat first innings it would have been over before day 5

Last edited:

now I know some people will bemoan this as it’s going back more to the Baylis era and they are probably right, but England don’t have players who play like root, they seem to pick people who walk in cement and have the world on their shoulders

they had 4 world class bowlers bang on form with no let up, they got selection spot on and the gamble of sharma at 8 paid off

they don’t score any runs, literally. They are supposed to be the rock of your team

yet people ignore that and say drop Buttler because he only averages 35 or someit

absolutely

100%. Their openers were superb, but when we batted day 3 we had arguably the best conditions of the 5 days and we failed to capitalise sufficiently.

absolutely

Yeah totally agree with Buttler, it is without a doubt that our top 3 are the problem.

However even though they bowled well without a shadow of doubt on that wicket we should have easily got a draw, easily.

They played not to lose that game even batted after lunch yet still came away with a victory due to our lack of application imo.

The problem is though it’s a catch 22 situation as none of the top 3 are good enough and it seems none of the other options are either.

I know you have said before and you right we should not more established players around the order and totally get that, but if we don’t do that we could have the worst top 3 in international cricket.

So what do we do?

absolutely

Personally I did not mind Bayliss approach, it wasn’t worse than this.

Last edited:
Much talk here about changes to the team. I think that Sibley and Curran should definitely be replaced at this point. Hameed should be given another go (though he looked terrible) and Burns merits a last chance. The others did enough to be retained - Root was excellent, of course.

Captain decides who bowls and sets the field placings mate. They had men out on the boundary and one slip for tail enders.

absolutely

To be fair most criticism on here has been constructive. England clearly underperformed and I thought the decision was a bad one at the toss, that is not the main reason England lost though ;)

absolutely

Give over. The ball moved a bit in the first session but after that the wicket was dry and easy to bat on and their batsmen weren't troubled. To add to this, the captaincy was reactive and passive.

Telling us every flipping team we play, SL, WI etc are 'world class' is a rubbish explanation. Of course they're world class, they're a test team, but on our home conditions we should be and are generally better.
To be fair most criticism on here has been constructive. England clearly underperformed and I thought the decision was a bad one at the toss, that is not the main reason England lost though ;)
I am a bat first person.

The proof of the pudding is in the scores though. You put the opposition into bat and they make 364, you then only manage a 27 lead, you've got it wrong. End of.

Last edited:
Give over. The ball moved a bit in the first session but after that the wicket was dry and easy to bat on and their batsmen weren't troubled. To add to this, the captaincy was reactive and passive.

Telling us every flipping team we play, SL, WI etc are 'world class' is a rubbish explanation. Of course they're world class, they're a test team, but on our home conditions we should be and are generally better.

I am a bat first person.

The proof of the pudding is in the scores though. You put the opposition into bat and they make 364, you then only manage a 27 lead, you've got it wrong. End of.
Yeah it was a bad decision. I'm the same bat first unless it's a green top with humid cloud. Runs on the board ;)

Captain decides who bowls and sets the field placings mate. They had men out on the boundary and one slip for tail enders.
Yeah you right for the end of their innings obviously.

But even taking all that account our batting in ours was simply not good enough.

Don’t think they showed any real intent to win the game yet did because of our collapse

I am a bat first person.

youre just utterly wrong

the only person in cricket who has said this is you

you’re just factually wrong mate. Unlucky
If we batted first they’d have had a huge lead India man ffs :lol:
Vaughn, Strauss, Atherton, bumble, Cook and a Kohli said they would all have bowled first

smoker on the SMb knows best

Last edited:
youre just utterly wrong

Vaughn, Strauss, Atherton, bumble, Cook and a Kohli said they would all have bowled first

He's allowed to have an opinion mate as are you.

I would have batted first and thought it was a bad call, not throwing a hissy fit or anything it's just what I think. Who cares in the grand scheme of things? ;)

Last edited:
youre just utterly wrong

I think you probably right mate, but it’s not black or white or a matter of right or wrong it’s opinion, sometimes you manner towards other posters does you no favours imo

I think you probably right mate, but it’s not black or white or a matter of right or wrong it’s opinion, sometimes you manner towards other posters does you no favours imo

haha aye no doubt about that

he was hurling some unnecessary shit at me last night to derail the thread so I think I stayed pretty patient till then in my defence

I think Pope has no chance of a recall now btw!

I am a bat first person.

I'm not sure it was the toss of the coin that won or lost the match to be fair, the second innings knock that would have been a bit embarrassing in the 100 was probably the thing that did it for us.

Back