england v australia ashes 1st test cardiff 2015

• Thread starter stephen cartwright
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephen cartwright

24 hours to go, so as nobody has started a thread, here we go

weather forecast is wednesday dry cloudy, thursday same, friday sunny, saturday, sunny. sunday not available on bc text.

i think that losing harris is a big blow as iirc he had cook in knots last time

i would bat if the toss is won. a draw in the first game imo

We need solid first session whatever the outcome of the toss. If we bat, we must be positive but not throw wickets away, if we bowl we must attack but keep it tight and not let Warner get on top of us.

I thought the word coming from Cardiff was that it wouldn't be a spinners wicket (e.g. that's what the groundsman is reported as saying)

ali isn't good enough as a bowler

Let's see. He's been out of form since his injury but was excellent last summer.

If you have Ali in your squad, then you should be picking him on a two spinner pitch. Otherwise he might as well not be there at all as his batting isn't good enough.

I thought the word coming from Cardiff was that it wouldn't be a spinners wicket (e.g. that's what the groundsman is reported as saying)

So why do we pick two spinners in the squad...kidology?

Let's see. He's been out of form since his injury but was excellent last summer.

If you have Ali in your squad, then you should be picking him on a two spinner pitch. Otherwise he might as well not be there at all as his batting isn't good enough.

So why do we pick two spinners in the squad...kidology?
don't pick him then not that his batting is bad I prefer rashid though

some would say rashid is a better batsman and certainly spinner, ali could miss out

Spinners wicket, nailed on. Must play Ali and Rashid and bat first if toss won.

And, if you're going, give the kernts some stick!

Not convinced by that, it might be slow but doesn't mean it will turn.

Just the one spinner for me, can't leave Wood out, we need that extra pacr

same as 2009 which wasnt spinners wicket either

Haway!!

class this

Last edited by a moderator:

Dry/slow pitches generally turn more as the ball is in contact with the deck longer. That is a basic fact of cricket johnson.

There is nothing to be gained bowling Wood on a slow wicket. He will be ineffective and runs the risk of injury bowling 20+ overs. Stokes was cannon fodder on the slow wickets in Sri Lanka too.

IIRC that match in 2009 started off with a bit of swing and seam, did very little for three days then heavily favoured spin. Nathan Hauritz was effective, our spinners (bowling on a dead wicket) weren't.

Dry/slow pitches generally turn more as the ball is in contact with the deck longer. That is a basic fact of cricket johnson.

There is nothing to be gained bowling Wood on a slow wicket. He will be ineffective and runs the risk of injury bowling 20+ overs. Stokes was cannon fodder on the slow wickets in Sri Lanka too.

IIRC that match in 2009 started off with a bit of swing and seam, did very little for three days then heavily favoured spin. Nathan Hauritz was effective, our spinners (bowling on a dead wicket) weren't.

No its not. the pitch in Cardiff in 2009 did not spin at all.

I like how you are trying to mock me again when the actual groundsman who is preparing the pitch said it wouldn't be a spinners wicket. Soon as I disagree with you try and get personal! We are allowed to have different opinions like, no big deal.

Wood has to play, mental not to, only way Rashid should play is if we drop a batsman, which is a risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haway!!

class this
Although I agree with the points, the video is over sentimental and looks like it's been thrown together. It won't cut any ice, we need just to play and try to wipe out the very bad memories of 2013/14, where, I'm afraid, they did " let people down"

Although I agree with the points, the video is over sentimental and looks like it's been thrown together. It won't cut any ice, we need just to play and try to wipe out the very bad memories of 2013/14, where, I'm afraid, they did " let people down"

Haway man Ollie, stop being so serious all the time, it obviously means a hell of a lot to the players, whether they are good enough or not is a different matter. Some of those let the fans down in that series, but its 1 series, the likes of Jimmy, Broad and Cook have been unbelievable for the country, delivered some amazing moments.

Haway man Ollie, stop being so serious all the time, it obviously means a hell of a lot to the players, whether they are good enough or not is a different matter.
As I said, I agree with the intention, it doesn't look especially well done, that's all. I just wish the bloody thing would start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back