England Test Squad for Sri Lanka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleem Dar

Striker
Strauss, Anderson, Bell, Bopara, Bresnan, Broad, Cook, Davies, Finn, Panesar, Patel, Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Tredwell & Trott.

Having bowled well as a 4 man unit in Pakistan, why are we losing a batsman when we the batsmen all struggled as a unit on what will be similar type wickets

Having bowled well as a 4 man unit in Pakistan, why are we losing a batsman when we the batsmen all struggled as a unit on what will be similar type wickets

Good logic. I tend to think though that if the batsmen cant get a grip of playing spin then playing 5 or 6 front liners doesnt make much difference. We could have played 8 front line batsmen in Pakistan and i'm not sure we would have got many more runs. I think the logic will be that Englands batsmen go there far better prepared against a spin attack not quite as good and do the business.

Time will tell.

Good decision to drop Morgan as the one thing we didn't want and it happened was him to lose his odi form because of the test matches. He's too important an odi player to let his confidence drop even further

Good logic. I tend to think though that if the batsmen cant get a grip of playing spin then playing 5 or 6 front liners doesnt make much difference. We could have played 8 front line batsmen in Pakistan and i'm not sure we would have got many more runs. I think the logic will be that Englands batsmen go there far better prepared against a spin attack not quite as good and do the business.

Time will tell.

Sri Lankan tracks more conducive to spin? The tracks in UAE especially for the first two tests werent really turning that much

Sri Lankan tracks more conducive to spin? The tracks in UAE especially for the first two tests werent really turning that much

But the thinking (not necessarily mine) is that Sri Lanka don't have as good a spinner as Ajmal.

And I think they're most likely to play Bopara or Patel and go with a 4 man attack. Bopara being a better medium option than Trott or Patel offering a bit more spin (although if 2 aren't enough....)

Good decision to drop Morgan as the one thing we didn't want and it happened was him to lose his odi form because of the test matches. He's too important an odi player to let his confidence drop even further

we are surely not picking the test side around the needs of 50 over stuff?

The potential problem for us as I see it, apart from our batsmen getting their act together, will be whether the pitches will do as much for our seamers as they did in the UAE. Monty and Swann did a very good job, but they were always backed up by Broad and Anderson. If the seamers can't get as much out of the pitches as they did against Pakistan, we'll be relying on the pitches turning to avoid facing some very high scores.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the tests ends in a high scoring draw (provided we can remember how to bat).

Can't wait for this series to get under way, it's been dull since the Pakistan tests ended with no cricket worth watching on.

Why sack Durban said:
we are surely not picking the test side around the needs of 50 over stuff?

We do when he has gone from being a top 5 in the world odi batsmen and best t20 batsmen in the world too now looking as though he's playing with a stick of rhubarb

Dropping Morgan was the way forward, he doesn't have the technique for tests.

I'm not sure about Patel tho, not sure he is better than an average 7 with the bat and a spinner to fill in a few overs. In the longer form anyway. Would have gone Taylor but what do I know?

Mate, I hear what your saying. Its just I can see Morgan being in the test team for some time, he just needs a big score or two to get his confidence back.

I like the fella. He should be our ODI and T20 captain.

The potential problem for us as I see it, apart from our batsmen getting their act together, will be whether the pitches will do as much for our seamers as they did in the UAE. Monty and Swann did a very good job, but they were always backed up by Broad and Anderson. If the seamers can't get as much out of the pitches as they did against Pakistan, we'll be relying on the pitches turning to avoid facing some very high scores.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the tests ends in a high scoring draw (provided we can remember how to bat).

Can't wait for this series to get under way, it's been dull since the Pakistan tests ended with no cricket worth watching on.

Excellent post and I think that is how it will turn out with our quick bowlers being far less effective out there. It will probably turn a lot more but still on balance be easier for batting.

Excellent post and I think that is how it will turn out with our quick bowlers being far less effective out there. It will probably turn a lot more but still on balance be easier for batting.

I actually thought it was fairly easier for batting in Pakistan. England were simply hopeless (as many have said before me) and Pakistan have a weak batting line up.

Pakistan and England along with South Africa have the best attacks in test cricket by some distance

We do when he has gone from being a top 5 in the world odi batsmen and best t20 batsmen in the world too now looking as though he's playing with a stick of rhubarb

you need technique to succeed at all forms long term. he moves about too much and needs to keep his head still.
the day when we are considering the one day team above test team we may as well pack in!

I actually thought it was fairly easier for batting in Pakistan. England were simply hopeless (as many have said before me) and Pakistan have a weak batting line up.

Pakistan and England along with South Africa have the best attacks in test cricket by some distance

I dont think the Pakistan attack is actually that great, we just batted like twats.

England and South Africa have quality attacks, with strength in depth, right now

I'm not sure what to expect regarding the pace of the pitches in Sri Lanka. They will certainly spin more. In the pakistan series it should have been easy enough to stay in but they were slow and low making run scoring difficult. Basically you are right we were hopeless and nowhere near patient enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back