Very impressive

Saqib Mahmood
Ollie Robinson
Jamie Porter
Olly Stone
Jofra Archer
Jamie Overton
Ben Coad

Archer is already world class, I like Stone and Mahmood looks like a bowler who could get wickets at home and abroad. Porter, like Curran would be a wasted pick in most conditions outside of England IMO. Haven't seen enough of Robinson and Coad.
Wood is almost 30.This bunch are 20-25. Curran is medium pace.These are FAST.

Cummins and Pattinson have been injury prone but both managed to overcome it.

Porter's not fast like unless hes put on a yard or two in the last couple of months.

Last edited:

Think if that lot had gone the Aussie system most of them would be in the test team and as good as Cummings and Hazelwood.

:lol: Are you mental. Some of them would barely have made state teams. Porter for example doesn't have the height, speed and physical attributes to be successful over there on Aussie pitches. hes a good cricketer but fortunate enough to have played his cricket over here where 84mph seam bowlers can thrive.

Wood is quicker than all those others you mentioned.
:lol: Are you mental. Some of them would barely have made state teams. Porter for example doesn't have the height, speed and physical attributes to be successful over there on Aussie pitches. hes a good cricketer but fortunate enough to have played his cricket over here where 84mph seam bowlers can thrive.

Bit off topic, but everyone bangs on about the need to be 90mph on Australia

We hammered the Aussies with an attack which ended up Jimmy, Bresnan and Tremlett, none of whom are quick.

Its getting overplayed massively

South Africa hammered aussies there as well 2 summers ago, Kyle Abbott and Philander destroyed them.

Its not going to hurt obviously, and lets try and develop some quicks for sure, but anyone watching that South Africa series should remember how well they played. It can be done

Last edited:
Wood is quicker than all those others you mentioned.

Bit off topic, but everyone bangs on about the need to be 90mph on Australia

We hammered the Aussies with an attack which ended up Jimmy, Bresnan and Tremlett, none of whom are quick.

Its getting overplayed massively

South Africa hammered aussies there as well 2 summers ago, Kyle Abbott and Philander destroyed them.

Its not going to hurt obviously, but anyone watching that South Africa series should remember how well they played.

Jimmy has also had his struggles over there and he is as good as there is of thatvtype a bowler. Tremlett, Bresnan and Abbott aren't rapid but they hit the deck hard and if you arent rapid you need to be able to do that on their drop in pitches. Unless you are an absolute master of your craft a pitch it up seamer is a waste of a spot on Australian pitches.

Jimmy has also had his struggles over there and he is as good as there is of thatvtype a bowler. Tremlett, Bresnan and Abbott aren't rapid but they hit the deck hard and if you arent rapid you need to be able to do that on their drop in pitches. Unless you are an absolute master of your craft a pitch it up seamer is a waste of a spot on Australian pitches.

Jimmy bowled well last tour there like

Yeah, what I am saying basicaly, is good bowlers still do well there

You don't just need to be quick, you need to be a good bowler, jst think the argument about speed has gone too far the other way

Coad and Porter are not fast.

Unless they've sped up in recent seasons. I saw them bowling 78-82 i.e curran pace.

Last edited:
Jimmy bowled well last tour there like

Yeah, what I am saying basicaly, is good bowlers still do well there

You don't just need to be quick, you need to be a good bowler, jst think the argument about speed has gone too far the other way

Tend to agree. Hoggard did pretty well in 2006/07 despite the result and Fraser also in 90/91. I think the argument is that if you don't have a bit of pace, then your margin for error in Australia is so much smaller. England got it spot on in 2010/11 with hit the deck hard bowlers like Finn, Bresnan and Tremlett but it's worth remembering that their batting line-up was poor and on a whole has been nowhere near the level of that golden period for over a decade so bowlers such as Philander and Abbott are less likely to be dominated by greats like Hayden, Ponting and Gilchrist.

Tend to agree. Hoggard did pretty well in 2006/07 despite the result and Fraser also in 90/91. I think the argument is that if you don't have a bit of pace, then your margin for error in Australia is so much smaller. England got it spot on in 2010/11 with hit the deck hard bowlers like Finn, Bresnan and Tremlett but it's worth remembering that their batting line-up was poor and on a whole has been nowhere near the level of that golden period for over a decade so bowlers such as Philander and Abbott are less likely to be dominated by greats like Hayden, Ponting and Gilchrist.

Good post and to be fair Fraser hit the deck hard. I would expect him to bowl well there even though he wasn't express. He hit the same 50p on a length time and time again.

Last edited:

Yeah I agree with this. Just trying to make the point that bowlers who bowl 90mph consistently are so rare, you often have to win without it. I think its become a bit of an easy media line to say, England need 90mph bowlers in Oz etc, we just need good bowlers. We had Curran and Overton playing there last time, they are OK bowlers but not test quality. If they have pace, even better.

Yeah I agree with this. Just trying to make the point that bowlers who bowl 90mph consistently are so rare, you often have to win without it. I think its become a bit of an easy media line to say, England need 90mph bowlers in Oz etc, we just need good bowlers. We had Curran and Overton playing there last time, they are OK bowlers but not test quality. If they have pace, even better.
Curran has proved to be good

So? Last test he bowled one of the best spells of fast bowling in modern times by an Englishman

When did you see em play?

I think Wood is a great bowler when fit, but he is barely ever fit. I doubt he will manage much longer at test level as it is too much of a risk to pick him in case he breaks down and leaves you a bowler light. Shame really
So? Last test he bowled one of the best spells of fast bowling in modern times by an Englishman

When did you see em play?

I think Wood is a great bowler when fit, but he is barely ever fit. I doubt he will manage much longer at test level as it is too much of a risk to pick him in case he breaks down and leaves you a bowler light. Shame really

The best thing that's happened in the search for fast bowling talent is that Kevin Shine has been sacked.
Where's Troy Cooley these days?

Back