England disaster

Anthly

Central Defender
Root dreadful and weak captain...Bairstow poor wicketkeeper...Anderson shouldn’t have been selected, selfishly wants 600 test wickets at all costs

Bairstow is fine as a wicket keeper, it's his batting that's horrific.

Also I don't think Jimmy played for 600 wickets so much as not wanting to let the team down in an Ashes match.

Bairstow is fine as a wicket keeper, it's his batting that's horrific.

Also I don't think Jimmy played for 600 wickets so much as not wanting to let the team down in an Ashes match.
Bairstow missed a straightforward stumping of Smith early in his innings. He's no more than a competent backstop.
If Anderson didn't want to let the side down he'd have declared himself unready having not played a competitive game in over a month. Given that fact he shouldn't even have had a say in his selection

The Telegraph is pointing out that both Buttler and Stokes hadn't played a 1st class match since February. Also notes that it's hard for Ali to find form when he only plays international cricket.

In short, the team is under-prepared. It comes back to a thread on here from a week or so ago on what would you prefer England win the world cup or win the Ashes because it could be England have sacrificed the Ashes.

The Telegraph is pointing out that both Buttler and Stokes hadn't played a 1st class match since February. Also notes that it's hard for Ali to find form when he only plays international cricket.

In short, the team is under-prepared. It comes back to a thread on here from a week or so ago on what would you prefer England win the world cup or win the Ashes because it could be England have sacrificed the Ashes.

The World Cup, yes losing the Ashes this time would be shite, we've lost before and will lose again, on the flip side we will win it again.

The World Cup win was something I thought I would never see, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

The over reaction on here is more embarrassing than anything the team has done.

Australia played well, and Steve Smith won the game for them. Being a bowler down didn't help our cause either. It's going to be very difficult to win the series from this position but not impossible. I don't understand this meltdown mentality of this message board, it's crept into the cricket forum from PF.

Yep exactly let’s not get carried away, it’s one game that’s all, where one of our bowlers was out for almost the entire game and one of their batsman put in one of the best performances seen in years.

Some perspective needs to be taken here.

Of course it’s going to be diffcult but England can still win the series from here

Had Anderson been fit, Smith's job becomes much harder and therefore it would have been a lot closer. I can only see Jimmy or Archer getting him out unless something daft happens.

Last edited:
Had Anderson been fit, Smith's job becomes much harder and therefore it would have been a lot closer. I can only see Jimmy or Archer getting him out unless something daft happens.

I’d fancy all our seamers - Broad troubled him early in the first innings and Woakes got him with one that nibbled in the second innings off the second new ball. I stand by the statement that in English conditions our bowling attack is better than theirs. So when he comes in, attack him!

I made the point at the time, try and get him out with orthodox fields and good lines and lengths first - don’t just feed him f***ing singles and wave the white flag as soon as he gets off the mark like Root seemed to do straight away :rolleyes: - a good ball will get any batman out, but bowling at his hip all the time will achieve fuckall.

The World Cup win was something I thought I would never see, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Well that's a bit of a stretch, its definitely possible you'll likely never see England win the FIFA World Cup in your lifetime. But realistically England's chances of winning the both the Rugby and Cricket World Cups are far greater than Football due to only 8-10 countries who play those sports. Half the world plays football including every country in Europe.

I would expect England to win multiple Cricket and Rugby World Cups before another Football World Cup. England winning the CWC was well overdue given 5 of the major Cricketing nations (Australia, India, West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) had already won it before they did, only two remain now. (New Zealand, South Africa)

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a stretch, its definitely possible you'll likely never see England win the FIFA World Cup in your lifetime. But realistically England's chances of winning the both the Rugby and Cricket World Cups are far greater than Football due to only 8-10 countries who play those sports. Half the world plays football including every country in Europe.

I would expect England to win multiple Cricket and Rugby World Cups before another Football World Cup. England winning the CWC was well overdue given 5 of the major Cricketing nations (Australia, India, West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) had already won it before they did, only two remain now. (New Zealand, South Africa)
Only 6 countries have won the football World Cup in the last 50 years.

Only 6 countries have won the football World Cup in the last 50 years.

Yeah, but plenty of other countries haven't been far off. Countries like Holland, Belgium, Portugal, and plenty of other South American countries have potential, its just those 6 countries have been so good as oppose to only winning it because few teams play the sport.

The Euro's have had far more winners actually, highlighting the strength and depth across the continent. England have never won the Euro's, by far the biggest nation not to, but they're up against a lot of countries and so the competition is even more fierce than say either the RWC and CWC is.

Last edited:

I’m 44 mate, we’ve one it once in my lifetime. I’m not going to live forever.

This isn't true either.

Our batting has been shite for ages, an accident waiting to happen.

Just like in the World Cup, there is a over reaction.

When everybody was cricising and having a go at them, when they had to win them last 2 games I went and backed them to win the tournament at juicy odds of 9/2 and fully intend to go and back England to win this series at juicy odds of 5/2.
I’d fancy all our seamers - Broad troubled him early in the first innings and Woakes got him with one that nibbled in the second innings off the second new ball. I stand by the statement that in English conditions our bowling attack is better than theirs. So when he comes in, attack him!

I made the point at the time, try and get him out with orthodox fields and good lines and lengths first - don’t just feed him f***ing singles and wave the white flag as soon as he gets off the mark like Root seemed to do straight away :rolleyes: - a good ball will get any batman out, but bowling at his hip all the time will achieve fuckall.

Exactly the very last thing we want now is any spinning wickets, their spinner is better than ours, and we have proven many times in England in English bowling conditions that we have very good test bowlers.

Last edited:
Just like in the World Cup, there is a over reaction.

When everybody was cricising and having a go at them, when they had to win them last 2 games I went and backed them to win the tournament at juicy odds of 9/2 and fully intend to go and back England to win this series at juicy odds of 5/2.

Exactly the very last thing we want now is any spinning wickets, their spinner is better than ours, and we have proven many times in England in English bowling conditions that we have very good test bowlers.

We were crap against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, that wasn't an overreaction at all, a few changes were made to the team as a result. You think it was all down to you showing some sort of quasi-mystical faith in the team?

It's a poor analogy anyway as those WC games were a stutter in an otherwise established and performing team. The test team is anything but.

Australia's decision to go with English style seamers in Pattinson and Siddle has been a masterstroke as it makes it harder for us to prepare a wicket to our strengths. I would probably go for a green top but our edge will be in depth and variety of bowlers - slow, medium, fast, left arm, right arm - so we can mix it up and our bowlers stay fresh and sharp.

We were crap against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, that wasn't an overreaction at all, a few changes were made to the team as a result. You think it was all down to you showing some sort of quasi-mystical faith in the team?

It's a poor analogy anyway as those WC games were a stutter in an otherwise established and performing team. The test team is anything but.

Australia's decision to go with English style seamers in Pattinson and Siddle has been a masterstroke as it makes it harder for us to prepare a wicket to our strengths. I would probably go for a green top but our edge will be in depth and variety of bowlers - slow, medium, fast, left arm, right arm - so we can mix it up and our bowlers stay fresh and sharp.

Yeah I do take your point about established good team in the World Cup, although at the time they were plenty saying it wasn't a stutter it was us bottling it when pressure on which was incorrect, but know what you saying.

However we are as good side as Australia imo, and they are far from a good test side themselves, and there is no need to panic at all, loads of cricket left in this series and 5/2 for us in home conditions is decent price.

Suddenly dropping several players after one game sends out the wrong message as well as the very relevant point that we have not exactly got quality players waiting in the wings far from it.

Last edited:

Back