Eng v NZ Proper Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotch

Striker
Thoughts on the upcoming test series.

Will Compton still be opening by the end or will Root replace him.
Will Jimmy reach 300 Test wickets.
Will Broad still be in the team by the end.
Will Monty get a game.
Will England win 3-0

Personally I'd play this team:

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Morgan/Broad
Swann
Anderson
Meaker
Finn

I reckon Meaker should get a shot on this tour, his pace could prove a very very handy weapon against the Aussies in the summer and would offer us something different from the height/bounce of Finn and the control/swing of Anderson.

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Morgan/Broad
Swann
Anderson
Meaker
Finn

I reckon Meaker should get a shot on this tour, his pace could prove a very very handy weapon against the Aussies in the summer and would offer us something different from the height/bounce of Finn and the control/swing of Anderson.

Bell out and Morgan in

Onions playing in the warm up. Wouldn't read too much into it as were only resting Anderson and Finn.

Bell hits century.

Will Compton still be opening by the end or will Root replace him. - Compton will establish himself at the top of the order with Cook
Will Jimmy reach 300 Test wickets. - Yes
Will Broad still be in the team by the end. - No
Will Monty get a game. - Yes
Will England win 3-0 - Yes, weather permitting

My team would be:

Cook
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior
Swann
Finn
Anderson
Onions

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Morgan/Broad
Swann
Anderson
Meaker
Finn Eddie???

Really??

Will Compton still be opening by the end or will Root replace him. - Compton will establish himself at the top of the order with Cook

My team would be:

Cook
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior
Swann
Finn
Anderson
Onions
I am told that apparently Onions lost all of his gear on the flight over!

My team would be:

Cook
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior
Swann
Finn
Anderson
Onions

Agree with all of that, apart from Monty playing. I can't see the need for 2 spinners over there, and Monty will only get a game if Swann gets an injury.

I can see Broad starting the first test ahead of Onions, but his place in the test team seems very fragile at the minute, so unless he puts in a good performance I reckon Onions will be in for the 2nd test. Not that I'd personally have Broad in the team at all as he's nothing more than an average bowler, and his batting (which many pundits seem to always bring up in discussion about him) has gone miles backwards since his hundred against Pakistan.

Agree with all of that, apart from Monty playing. I can't see the need for 2 spinners over there, and Monty will only get a game if Swann gets an injury.

I can see Broad starting the first test ahead of Onions, but his place in the test team seems very fragile at the minute, so unless he puts in a good performance I reckon Onions will be in for the 2nd test. Not that I'd personally have Broad in the team at all as he's nothing more than an average bowler, and his batting (which many pundits seem to always bring up in discussion about him) has gone miles backwards since his hundred against Pakistan.

I have a feeling that with Monty, he'll get a game because the pitches in New Zealand tend to start turning in the 2nd innings. If Broad has a shocker when he inevitably starts the first test, I can see the selectors giving Monty a try ahead of Onions. The XI I went with was the one I'd like to see, not the one I think will play unfortunately.

I can't understand why Broad's batting is constantly brought up, he's done nothing of note with the bat for ages and more importantly, little of note with the ball. If we're looking at that top spot in the test rankings again, we shouldn't be needing to pick bowlers based on their batting ability. We still have Swann who can hammer a quick 20 or 30 and Finn isn't afraid to swing the bat if we really need lower order runs.

Broad is a cock

This.

Onions has done nowt to stake his claim though :-(

16 overs 0-75 :confused:

Do we read anything into it that he's had a shit wonder. I put India down to the wickets being flat dust bowls, however NZ should be right up his street.

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Morgan/Broad
Swann
Anderson
Meaker
Finn

Morgan? At 7? Or a bowler?

Are you drunk sir?

Thoughts on the upcoming test series.

Will Compton still be opening by the end or will Root replace him.
Will Jimmy reach 300 Test wickets.
Will Broad still be in the team by the end.
Will Monty get a game.
Will England win 3-0

Root
No. Green tops don't count
Yes
No
No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back