EMDR

coyneeee

Winger
Has anyone tried form of therapy for your mental health?

I imagine NHS referrals for this would be absolutely backlogged so where would be the resource for this if I were to go private?

bacp.co.uk

It's great for PTSD.
If you have any negative coping mechanisms, like turning drink or drugs, sort them out first before you start it. As with any kind of trauma work, it's likely your mental health will get worse before it gets better.

bacp.co.uk

It's great for PTSD.
If you have any negative coping mechanisms, like turning drink or drugs, sort them out first before you start it. As with any kind of trauma work, it's likely your mental health will get worse before it gets better.

Yeah I have PTSD. And I do turn to coke during a trigger so I'm wanting to do something about it.

Yeah I have PTSD. And I do turn to coke during a trigger so I'm wanting to do something about it.
I don't know you or your exact circumstances but general advice would be to do some relapse prevention work with an addiction service first, then go ahead with the EMDR. Any trauma work is basically opening up a scar and getting it to heal better so if you are managing the distress at the moment with something unhealthy address that first. You don't have to be completely clean, it'll help, but at very least have some kind of relapse prevention plan before starting EMDR so you aren't wasting your time and money should things take a down turn after you start.

Hope you get on top of it all marra.

I really appreciate the help. Do you think the zoom calls they're offering nowadays are as effective as the face to face stuff?

I really appreciate the help. Do you think the zoom calls they're offering nowadays are as effective as the face to face stuff?
Sorry mate just seen this. Personally I think EMDR is best done face to face but there is evidence that it's useful via video.

Hope you're alreet.

Sorry mate just seen this. Personally I think EMDR is best done face to face but there is evidence that it's useful via video.

Hope you're alreet.
Id agree , always best to have a therapist in the room for trauma work as despite managing graded levels of arousal ive known patients just take off emotionally. Dissociation can always be a potential and getting them back is much easier in person.
Having said that one of the quickest trauma cures i knew was when a patient ' got away' from me like that in session ( it happens but a proper white knuckle ride ).Came back to next session sorted , all reaction to paired triggers gone . Not recommended though and she was an otherwise stable one off trauma .
I didnt do EMDR, did trauma focussed cbt , but i do know some of my colleagues were managing remote EMDR fairly well during COVID.

I've not done EMDR but have been considering it as the final step for recovery for C-PTSD. From videos I have seen I cannot imagine it not being done in person as it seems like they are looking for very subtle signals. I relapse a lot as I suffer with repetition compulsion for abusive or edgy situations, right to the point of planning it all out and it is horrendous to overcome. so I think I will take the advice above and look for strong relapse prevention work in therapy.

Trauma focused psychotherapy can work fine online - I had loads of it during the lockdowns as I had already started fortunately a few months before. It isn't always quite as engaging, but it is still useful. It is easier to dissociate with the physical gap though I find.

Back