Ellis Simms

*at Championship level yes 4m max, he's not very good or excellent imo, just good.
A good championship striker is worth more than 4m, if they are in their early 20s.

From the outside it appears he's of good character, hasn't had any serious injuries.

Already been at the club so understands the area and the pressure that comes with playing here.

For me it was a no brainer. Stewart out, Simms in.

A good championship striker is worth more than 4m, if they are in their early 20s.

From the outside it appears he's of good character, hasn't had any serious injuries.

Already been at the club so understands the area and the pressure that comes with playing here.

For me it was a no brainer. Stewart out, Simms in.
I would have had him back 100%. Not for 8m though but we wouldn't have paid a fee as low 4m anyway imo.

For the price, not as a player.

Still wouldn't have him for what Coventry paid.
This is the issue though. It was expensive and a bit of a risk but these are the kind of risks we need to take at some point. He’s just turned 23 and they would likely get at least their money back on him after hitting double figures at this level.

He'll go for more than that in his next move. If Coventry don't go up he might go to a team with parachute payments in the next 18 months

I don't see Ellis being a player who will jump clubs with any regularity. He's got a 3 yr contract with us and since Christmas, he's started coming out of his shell. He likes it here, he's being used successfully and he's getting results. Unless something drastic changes, we won't be looking to sell and he doesn't seem the type to demand a move.

This is the issue though. It was expensive and a bit of a risk but these are the kind of risks we need to take at some point. He’s just turned 23 and they would likely get at least their money back on him after hitting double figures at this level.
Every transfer is a risk. But given his age and what we had already seen of him on loan, that risk was lower
I don't see Ellis being a player who will jump clubs with any regularity. He's got a 3 yr contract with us and since Christmas, he's started coming out of his shell. He likes it here, he's being used successfully and he's getting results. Unless something drastic changes, we won't be looking to sell and he doesn't seem the type to demand a move.
If the demand is there, then the money will be there and he'll go. I think he'll either play a part in getting you up this season and next, or move on if you don't go up. Surprised it was only a 3 year contract given the fee.

Last edited:
If the demand is there, then the money will be there and he'll go. I think he'll either play a part in getting you up this season and next, or move on if you don't go up. Surprised it was only a 3 year contract given the fee.

Used to be the case. But we now have the money to not need to sell our talent. Clubs can come in but unless they want to spend stupid amounts of money, our owner Doug King and Robins have the final decision.

Robins and DK have both said we're building for the future. This season, we've only got a couple of loans whereas our entire defence bar McFadzean were young loans last season. We've lived on loans and they've never worked for us as each new season was a rebuild effort. We're building a team to challenge for promotion and if we do go up (still a long way off), to at least be safe for a season. We were as surprised as everyone when everyone who came in was given a decent 3-4 yr contract.

Used to be the case. But we now have the money to not need to sell our talent. Clubs can come in but unless they want to spend stupid amounts of money, our owner Doug King and Robins have the final decision.

Robins and DK have both said we're building for the future. This season, we've only got a couple of loans whereas our entire defence bar McFadzean were young loans last season. We've lived on loans and they've never worked for us as each new season was a rebuild effort. We're building a team to challenge for promotion and if we do go up (still a long way off), to at least be safe for a season. We were as surprised as everyone when everyone who came in was given a decent 3-4 yr contract.
Not disputing that you are building for the future. But if he keeps scoring goals and developing and you don't go up, people are going to be interested. If a premier league club or even a championship club with parachute payments comes in, he'll be gone. Like every other club you have a place in the food chain.
I would have had him back 100%. Not for 8m though but we wouldn't have paid a fee as low 4m anyway imo.
Your were never going to be getting an Ellis Simms type for 4m. For 3-4m your are taking a punt. I'd rather not take a punt given the struggles we have had finding a striker.

Last edited:

Back