Ellis Simms

Written off by loads on here when he signed for Coventry

How much of that was "if we can't have him, he was never good enough" sour grapes ? Happens in all fanbases. We didn't rate Kevin Keegan after we trialed him (true fact). Glad we were proved right on that one 🤦‍♂️

I've been told Sunderland didn't have a chance of signing Simms as he was recalled by Everton. Is that correct ? And was it that they needed him back or was it a case of him not having enough playing time at Sunderland ?

How much of that was "if we can't have him, he was never good enough" sour grapes ? Happens in all fanbases. We didn't rate Kevin Keegan after we trialed him (true fact). Glad we were proved right on that one 🤦‍♂️

I've been told Sunderland didn't have a chance of signing Simms as he was recalled by Everton. Is that correct ? And was it that they needed him back or was it a case of him not having enough playing time at Sunderland ?
Pay the money and he was ours.

I don't think anyone particularly wrote him off. I think it was more about what was paid for him. Personally don't think he was valued above 3-4m, 6-8m was way too much. No doubt he's a good player though.

Sums up our club and recruitment, should have been here.
Very logical
I don't think anyone particularly wrote him off. I think it was more about what was paid for him. Personally don't think he was valued above 3-4m, 6-8m was way too much. No doubt he's a good player though.
If you define him as a good player, given his age, then 6-8m was about right

Last edited:
He knew the players, had shown on loan he was a good fit for the way we play and was happy to come here.

Problem was to get him we needed to spend actual money so the model said no.

It’s a good example of why we won’t progress until they loosen the purse strings

Back