Edward Thompsons Paper Mill (On 28 Days Later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be a Printer when I left school and years later I worked at Edwards Thompsons Paper Mill on a temporary job for 12 weeks as a Printer in between the Summer holidays when I was at University. Our boy worked there for 25 years and got me in.
The Paper Mill section was impressive as fuck with the giant machinery, some storeys high which echoed the magnificence of the great industrial age. The noise, the heat, the steam bellowing from the massive structures and working activity was a sight to behold and one I am glad to have witnessed before it's demise.

The report and pictures on in the link below is a fascinating in it's portrayal of the decay of this abandoned building.

Logon or register to see this image

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/edward-thompson-paper-mill-sunderland-august-2014.t91658

Stories and pics of the place are very welcome.

Went there for a look about when I did my apprenticeship, would have been around about 00-01. I think they dealt with recycling paper then though, and they had some printing shit in.

Being told they got a telling off for inks leaking into the sea was probably the most interesting part. The fish went a different colour, apparently.

Ahh Catbalou. Sunderlands finest urban explorer. Maybe overshadowed ever so slightly by 'Brickman' who gave us the shots of the wear bridge from above. She must get on here shirley?

I used to be a Printer when I left school and years later I worked at Edwards Thompsons Paper Mill on a temporary job for 12 weeks as a Printer in between the Summer holidays when I was at University. Our boy worked there for 25 years and got me in.
The Paper Mill section was impressive as fuck with the giant machinery, some storeys high which echoed the magnificence of the great industrial age. The noise, the heat, the steam bellowing from the massive structures and working activity was a sight to behold and one I am glad to have witnessed before it's demise.

The report and pictures on in the link below is a fascinating in it's portrayal of the decay of this abandoned building.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/edward-thompson-paper-mill-sunderland-august-2014.t91658

Stories and pics of the place are very welcome.
My mam and dad worked there in the 60s and 70s. Where they met actually.

Canandian firm Domtar when i worked there in the early 70's they're still one of the biggest in the world today. in 73 as a 18 year old i brought home more pay than me dad who was a shot firer at the pit

I used to sell paper to Edward Thompsons when I first moved up here in the 70s. You used to have to walk a gauntlet of lasses down to the buyers office all wolf whistling at you and shouting for you to get your cock out :lol:

A few Sunderland printers I used to work with that are long gone now, Inkermans spring to mind.

Happy days.

Love that 28 days later website like, they get into some cracking places.
Aye, it's a great website.

I used to sell paper to Edward Thompsons when I first moved up here in the 70s. You used to have to walk a gauntlet of lasses down to the buyers office all wolf whistling at you and shouting for you to get your cock out :lol:

A few Sunderland printers I used to work with that are long gone now, Inkermans spring to mind.

Happy days.
:lol: They used to shout at me to keep my cock in.

I notice there are names of some people who worked there on the First Aid sign pic.:)

Aye, it's a great website.

:lol: They used to shout at me to keep my cock in.

I notice there are names of some people who worked there on the First Aid sign pic.:)
Love owt like this me..old buildings with bit of history....I worked at Kimberly Clarks paper mill in Prudhoe for a few years...they hated me all those big hairy scotswood road lads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back