Edinburgh Derby review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been up to Hearts vs Hibs today in the Scottish cup.

£29 a ticket, obscene for a cup game but justified by the attendance, people will pay it etc (I don't think it was officially sold out but there were very few seats spare).

The game - Poor standard obviously but enjoyable to watch, both teams going for it wth it being a cup game, both sides had chances but hearts slightly shaded it imo and dersreved the win, just. An 87th minute winner for hearts caused some great scenes.

The atmosphere - good during the fist half but very flat in the second until hearts scored late on, the place was bouncing after that. The Hibs song to Runaround Sue is tremendous.

Overall - An enjoyable day apart from paying £5.35 a pint, Tynecastle is still a good ground despite no longer having that great old main stand.

Tynecastle is looking very dated and tired. Tiny ground, hemmed in on all sides and now trying to make a modern football stadium in a shoebox. I went last year for one of their Europa cup ties. Good night out and the Hearts fan I was with was sound as a pound. Shame that Hibs lost today.

There is a nice memorial at the back of one of the ends to the Hearts footballers who fought during WW1.

Neither Edinburgh ground is in a particularly nice area. Gorgie not quite as bad as Leith although the latter has had a lot of work done to it over the years.

£29 a ticket, obscene for a cup game but justified by the attendance, people will pay it etc (I don't think it was officially sold out but there were very few seats spare).

The game - Poor standard obviously but enjoyable to watch, both teams going for it wth it being a cup game, both sides had chances but hearts slightly shaded it imo and dersreved the win, just. An 87th minute winner for hearts caused some great scenes.

The atmosphere - good during the fist half but very flat in the second until hearts scored late on, the place was bouncing after that. The Hibs song to Runaround Sue is tremendous.

Overall - An enjoyable day apart from paying £5.35 a pint, Tynecastle is still a good ground despite no longer having that great old main stand.
Thought drink was banned in Scottish grounds

7/10 for overall day out ? 8 at a push ?

Tynecastle is looking very dated and tired. Tiny ground, hemmed in on all sides and now trying to make a modern football stadium in a shoebox. I went last year for one of their Europa cup ties. Good night out and the Hearts fan I was with was sound as a pound. Shame that Hibs lost today.

There is a nice memorial at the back of one of the ends to the Hearts footballers who fought during WW1.

Neither Edinburgh ground is in a particularly nice area. Gorgie not quite as bad as Leith although the latter has had a lot of work done to it over the years.

I love it, it's compact and the stands are steep, you feel on top of the pitch.

Thought drink was banned in Scottish grounds

It is, paid it at Waverly

The Merchiston Hearts club is just outside Tynecastle. It’s cheap and very welcoming before and after the game, however you need someone to sign you in.

Just back, Hibs fan as a kid before moving down here and now hold a season ticket. No complaints with result , they took there chance and that was the difference. Stokes behaviour in the run up to match seems to have had a disruptive effect but that's no excuse. Edinburgh derby's are tight affairs with blood and thunder the order of the day as demonstrated by the challange on Bartley on the half way line.
We go again on Wednesday at Dundee before visits to Celtic and The Rangers on consecutive saturdays with a home match against Motherwell in between so no time to feel sorry for ourselves.
To the orginal poster Platform 5 at Haymarket is a good venue, 3.30 a pint and good mix of fans pre and post match with no hint of bother.

Just back, Hibs fan as a kid before moving down here and now hold a season ticket. No complaints with result , they took there chance and that was the difference. Stokes behaviour in the run up to match seems to have had a disruptive effect but that's no excuse. Edinburgh derby's are tight affairs with blood and thunder the order of the day as demonstrated by the challange on Bartley on the half way line.
We go again on Wednesday at Dundee before visits to Celtic and The Rangers on consecutive saturdays with a home match against Motherwell in between so no time to feel sorry for ourselves.
To the orginal poster Platform 5 at Haymarket is a good venue, 3.30 a pint and good mix of fans pre and post match with no hint of bother.
I work up there at the minute two days a week and call into Ryries next to haymarket before I get the train back down home.

Been some work done on Tynecastle hasn’t there? I was up there earlier this season and watched them v Aberdeen at Murrayfield cos tynecadtle was shut.
Watched today’s game on hols by the pool and th3 vast n varied viewers agreed it was @ poor game

I was at the match too. Huge win for Hearts.

Tidied - watched it on tv and it was f***ing rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back