Eames chair alternatives

The classic leather lounge chair with matching footstool is a design classic and is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

However, I'm not keen on black leather and wood look, and everyone on the planet has an Eames chair.

Can anyone recommend some alternatives preferably in velvet or similar?

The classic leather lounge chair with matching footstool is a design classic and is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

However, I'm not keen on black leather and wood look, and everyone on the planet has an Eames chair.

I’ve got an original Harry Bertoia lips chair. Needs a recover. Thinking of getting it done in bright pink. It’s beautiful. Nobody is allowed to sit on it like.
Florence Knoll designed some really nice stuff. Have a look on the knoll website at some of their collaBs.

Last edited:
This is the colour it is now but it is faded. It’s never been changed like.

Logon or register to see this image
Could be a bitch to recover that mind.
The hilarious thing about Eames chairs Eames designed them as a “low cost” chair that anyone could own.
Yup, just looked there and it seems some are the price of a small car.

What's your budget?

Last edited:
I’ve got an original Harry Bertoia lips chair. Needs a recover. Thinking of getting it done in bright pink. It’s beautiful. Nobody is allowed to sit on it like.
Florence Knoll designed some really nice stuff. Have a look on the knoll website at some of their collaBs.
My great auntie had a sofa that looked like a pair of lips. The house clearance lads said it must’ve come from a food shop as it had DELI written on the back.

The hilarious thing about Eames chairs Eames designed them as a “low cost” chair that anyone could own.

That'll be why loads of people have them then.

I just don't want a chair made of black leather and wood in my living room.
Herman Miller do owt like that?

I found this but I don't want it owt in that fabric/colour.

Could be a bitch to recover that mind.

Yup, just looked there and it seems some are the price of a small car.

What's your budget?

Ideally no more than 3 figures.
The furniture in my study is deliberately mismatched. Just go for what you want.

That's exciting. Can you recommend a chair and mismatched footstool similar to an Eames chair/footstool that's made of soft material?

Last edited:

That's exciting. Can you recommend a chair and mismatched footstool similar to an Eames chair/footstool that's made of soft material?
That’s dull that mind. Go second hand and get summat original. Nowt on eBay? I’ve bought a sofa in Birmingham before and got it collected from a man with a van off Facebook

Always thought Eames looked like desk chairs.

That’s dull that mind. Go second hand and get summat original. Nowt on eBay? I’ve bought a sofa in Birmingham before and got it collected from a man with a van off Facebook

Original is the way - you never lose any money on them.

You might want to have a dodge along to your local antique/retro emporium (sure there must be a few in London).
If you're wanting brand spanking new I did spot a few nice chairs on the IKEA and Debenhams websites.
It's an absolute minefield, you'd obviously want to try before you buy just in case it ends up an uncomfortable piece of shit that you regret purchasing.
Good luck 👍

Vitsoe do the Dieter Rams 620 with a footstool. But, weirdly for Rams, I’m not entirely impressed. Maybe it just doesn’t look comfortable.

Did G Plan do anything decent back in the day?

I've only just started looking. Vinterior might be my best bet.
These are really comfy but I don’t like red. They come in some really nice antique colours. Seem them go for £800

Do you actually want to sit on them?

Back