Durham Youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know if we have any Academy players who might make the the step up to the first team this season. Just noticed on cricinfo that England u19s are currently playing a youth test match against South Africa when i checked the England squad for the tour was surprised to see no Durham players made the tour.

Hasnt been officially announced yet who are getting contracts. The likes of Rammy Singh got a contract last year and featured against the Australian B side.

I'm not sure that the current crop are as good as previous years but at U15 level there are a few gooduns. The lad from Langley Park, Jack Burnham is always spoken about in glowing terms. I think that Hetton Lyons also have some good ones.

Like a lot of counties though I think that the DCB struggle to put enough cricket on for the lads due to financial considerations. I'm astonished that they dont have batting, bowling etc. 6 to 8 week courses on throughout the winter to make the club a bit of money. I'm assuming that the DCB coaches have a full time contract and will be available to do something throughout the winter months.

South North have all sorts on in the winter and whilst they may well own their own facilities surely if done correctly the DCB could be onto a money spinner at The Riverside?

Edit - I have heard on the grapevine that the Northumberland County Cricket Board have had to suspend their U13 and U15 teams this year due to having no money. It has meant that a few lads have left the likes of South North etc. to come over to Durham eligible teams such as Annfield Plain to put themselves in contention for a Durham County game. Therefore it could get very competitive in durham in the next year or two. One lad who goes to Sedbergh School has made such a move and is supposed to be a cracking player.

Last edited:
Hasnt been officially announced yet who are getting contracts. The likes of Rammy Singh got a contract last year and featured against the Australian B side.

I'm not sure that the current crop are as good as previous years but at U15 level there are a few gooduns. The lad from Langley Park, Jack Burnham is always spoken about in glowing terms. I think that Hetton Lyons also have some good ones.

Like a lot of counties though I think that the DCB struggle to put enough cricket on for the lads due to financial considerations. I'm astonished that they dont have batting, bowling etc. 6 to 8 week courses on throughout the winter to make the club a bit of money. I'm assuming that the DCB coaches have a full time contract and will be available to do something throughout the winter months.

South North have all sorts on in the winter and whilst they may well own their own facilities surely if done correctly the DCB could be onto a money spinner at The Riverside?

Edit - I have heard on the grapevine that the Northumberland County Cricket Board have had to suspend their U13 and U15 teams this year due to having no money. It has meant that a few lads have left the likes of South North etc. to come over to Durham eligible teams such as Annfield Plain to put themselves in contention for a Durham County game. Therefore it could get very competitive in durham in the next year or two. One lad who goes to Sedbergh School has made such a move and is supposed to be a cracking player.

Jack is from Esh ;)

My lad was picked by the DCB to go for Advanced Batting classes along with 7 other lads at Fyndoune. I dropped him off yesterday dinner time and came back 20 minutes from the end. I was astonished too find that Geoff cook was in attendance running the rule over what are U11's and U12's.

I'm told that he does this regularly which is great credit to him and that he is brilliant with the bairns. He was of course the Academy director before Jon Windows.

I just wonder also that with the DCB now taking over the running of junior cricket in the county what difference that might make to the standard of junior cricket and the smoother progression of bairns on the various pathways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back