Durham - Promotion Push

brandon

Striker
So with the last month of the season about to arrive, all that is left is the dying embers of another County season. To be in with a chance of promotion at this stage is something we can all be very pleased about and but for the last day defiance from Fatty Batter and his Leicestershire chums, we'd be sitting in one of the promotion places (3rd).

It seems like the season has once again gone in a crack and whilst the weekend was red hot, I do feel like that autumnal chill is lingering in the air - it may just be in my mind and its barmy to think that winter is upon us, especially when the climax of The Ashes and of a County Championship season is still just coming to a simmer.

Our remaining fixtures are thus:

Tuesday 10 - v Middlesex (a) - 11 points behind us in 7th
Monday 16 - v Northants (a) - 10 points ahead of us in 3rd
Monday 23 - v Glamorgan (h) - 5 points ahead of us in 4th

I had thought perhaps of posting the fixtures of the other teams going for promotion like the tabloids do whenever there's a promotion/relegation battle to be won, but as EIGHT teams are still in the hunt and only Worcestershire (surprisingly after their early season predicitons) and Leicestershire (another wooden spoon looms) are out of the running I didn't see the point. We can pore over the other teams fixtures and the ramifications all we want, but the reality of it is - 72 points or even just three wins will definitely get us up. Going off our recent run of red ball form I'd back us to beat anyone and if we can turn over two of those three we should be helped by snookers elsewhere that sees us up. Lancashire (53 points above us) look to have it all but sewn up and so they probably can't be caught, but anyone from Gloucestershire (24 points above us) down to Derbyshire (16 behind us) can go up - there will be so many teams in the hunt playing each other that virtually any result elsewhere will aid our plight if we're winning too, but obviously any defeat will drastically worsen our promotion prospects.

Ha'way Durham!

The failure to take those last seven Leics wickets on the final day might cost us dearly especially with Derbyshire's generous declaration against an in form Gloucestershire.

We definitely need to win at least two of the final three games and I've got my doubts about the Northants game as they seem to have a bit of a hold over us in the red ball format.

If it goes down to the wire ie the Glamorgan home game it will be interesting to see where the wicket is at the Riverside that's for sure!

What is for certain is that I hope it's a dry September!

Time Scott Steel got a game not only for his batting but his bowling at this BBB time of the season on used wickets.
Against Leicestershire we where crying out for an off spinner to turn it away from Cosgrove on that last day.
Agree wholeheartedly, you need a spin option even if it's rarely needed.Both Steels offer differing spin options with both deserving their places on batting alone. Pleasingly Cameron appears to have regained his form. On form over the last 6 games(4 wins, 2 high point draws) we'd certainly be in the top 3,possibly top, so promotion is a realistic proposition.
I'd go

Lees
C.Steel
Harte
Handscomb
Burnham
S.Steel
Eckersley
Raine
Carse
Rimmington/Sainsbury
Rushworth.s

Agree wholeheartedly, you need a spin option even if it's rarely needed.Both Steels offer differing spin options with both deserving their places on batting alone. Pleasingly Cameron appears to have regained his form. On form over the last 6 games(4 wins, 2 high point draws) we'd certainly be in the top 3,possibly top, so promotion is a realistic proposition.
I'd go

Lees
C.Steel
Harte
Handscomb
Burnham
S.Steel
Eckersley
Raine
Carse
Rimmington/Sainsbury
Rushworth.s
Sainsbury?

:)

Ha,won't even blame it on auto correct - not the 1st time I've done it.
Just read a piece from Athers on Hameed-he's convinced he'll come good with a change of club. Worth a punt on loan for the last 3 games?

I would sign him and it would allow steel to go back down to 3

Ha,won't even blame it on auto correct - not the 1st time I've done it.
Just read a piece from Athers on Hameed-he's convinced he'll come good with a change of club. Worth a punt on loan for the last 3 games?
I'd be in favour. He has the talent and it seems the application and that's a good starting point.

Promotion would be lovely, but that last game was a huge kick in the balls. Ultimately delighted with progress and thrilled we are in with a shout. If we go up great, if we don't go up then great as I've seen plenty positive stuff this season compared to the garbage I witnessed last season. I'd have took this at the start of April.

Good luck lads

So with the last month of the season about to arrive, all that is left is the dying embers of another County season. To be in with a chance of promotion at this stage is something we can all be very pleased about and but for the last day defiance from Fatty Batter and his Leicestershire chums, we'd be sitting in one of the promotion places (3rd).

It seems like the season has once again gone in a crack and whilst the weekend was red hot, I do feel like that autumnal chill is lingering in the air - it may just be in my mind and its barmy to think that winter is upon us, especially when the climax of The Ashes and of a County Championship season is still just coming to a simmer.

Our remaining fixtures are thus:

Tuesday 10 - v Middlesex (a) - 11 points behind us in 7th
Monday 16 - v Northants (a) - 10 points ahead of us in 3rd
Monday 23 - v Glamorgan (h) - 5 points ahead of us in 4th

I had thought perhaps of posting the fixtures of the other teams going for promotion like the tabloids do whenever there's a promotion/relegation battle to be won, but as EIGHT teams are still in the hunt and only Worcestershire (surprisingly after their early season predicitons) and Leicestershire (another wooden spoon looms) are out of the running I didn't see the point. We can pore over the other teams fixtures and the ramifications all we want, but the reality of it is - 72 points or even just three wins will definitely get us up. Going off our recent run of red ball form I'd back us to beat anyone and if we can turn over two of those three we should be helped by snookers elsewhere that sees us up. Lancashire (53 points above us) look to have it all but sewn up and so they probably can't be caught, but anyone from Gloucestershire (24 points above us) down to Derbyshire (16 behind us) can go up - there will be so many teams in the hunt playing each other that virtually any result elsewhere will aid our plight if we're winning too, but obviously any defeat will drastically worsen our promotion prospects.

Ha'way Durham!
The home game will snooker us. It’ll pisS down likely
Haway the Wearside boys

Back