Durham Police to offer all frontline officers Tasers

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So no innocent people will be tasered? Are you sure?

There’s loads more if you want me to keep going.
Aye, that's a worry.
It's tricky. But I suppose it's 99% non-fatal and quick. Just try and keep them out of the hands of the dickheads.

Think cops were cleared of any wrongdoing on that bottom one
All well and good but worry for cops who are fresh out the box given it and will not learn how to use their best weapon, their voice.
Then another issue of issuing them to specials who may only does minimum hours a month

Last edited:
"The Taser hit me in the back and it started sending all these thousands of volts through me and I was terrified. I mean I had two strokes already caused by stress. I dropped the stick involuntarily and I collapsed on the floor face down."
"We have launched an urgent investigation to understand what lessons can be learned and the matter has been referred to the IPCC."

Farmer says he is taking legal action against the force and wants the officer involved charged with assault.

A 27-year-old man carrying a samurai sword was later arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

Last edited by a moderator:
All well and good but worry for cops who are fresh out the box given it and will not learn how to use their best weapon, their voice.
Then another issue of issuing them to specials who may only does minimum hours a month
Exactly mate. I mean don’t get me wrong there’s gonna be a load of circumstances where it will be welcomed. Keeping you lot safe should always be the first objective but these used wrongly with the wrong attitude and training could put officers in more danger. Also there’s the negative effect of the inexperienced using them and casting a shadow of doubt over the lads and lasses who know how to go on with them. The press will be scrutinising every case.

If people actually do their minimum required training hours, then it shouldn’t be an issue. All depends on the force though....

Lets give them Tasers and see what happens. Set the voltage at 250volts for now. muwahahaha.

Set voltage at 50,000 volts lets electrocute this son of a *****

Do you want to balance that with stories of where the taser has been used effectively to stop criminals?

If people actually do their minimum required training hours, then it shouldn’t be an issue. All depends on the force though....

Training hours? You mean probation or the pass/fail course. The course will not be able to assess the decision making ability of a fresh out of the box cop for me. Just my opinion. I fear some will go straight to taser rather than being able to prevent situations getting to that point or when captor would be suitable
Do you want to balance that with stories of where the taser has been used effectively to stop criminals?

For every questionnable case there are literally thousands of cases where its been used well and harm prevented. Its a great bit of kit and the X2 is a massive improvement. Bid of awkward timing for forces as most are still doing conversion courses and all of this has came at a bad time. Its ok for govt to say roll it out to everyone but forces only have so many resorces to train cops.
Same with johnson saying 20k more cops... who is going train them as forces are already hiring at max rate and might take upwards of about 5 years for these 20k to come through.

Last edited:
Guess it's a balance ..the cops need something to keep us safe ( this seems better than guns?) .I bet these are actually used more often than we know about to good effect.look at how many young uns are on steroids these days doing the " weatherspoons walk"..if they kick off the cops need something to " even " the fight.
I've never been tasered and don't know anyone who has but they sound effective.

Thry are standard bits of equipment for every officer here. There is quite a bit of training involved. Day one after leaving the academy they are on the streets, double crewed with firearm and taser. It’s very rare they are drawn let alone actually used.

Training hours? You mean probation or the pass/fail course. The course will not be able to assess the decision making ability of a fresh out of the box cop for me. Just my opinion. I fear some will go straight to taser rather than being able to prevent situations getting to that point or when captor would be suitable
I mean the minimum annual training hours that ACPO requires you to do, not just the qual for it.

Whether you go straight into it or not is no different to being issued with any other less lethal imo.

I don’t think that’s point I was trying to make. Like black ops said, the thought behind them used correctly is great. But you are running the risk of the taser being the go to option. Look at the way most yanks cop use their weapons, the first thing they do is draw and point this won’t have happened over night it will have happened over years. So the point I made is valid and backed up by an officer. Do you get it or not pal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back