Durham players overseas 2018/19

Got this reply from the club in this issue

We'll be doing an overseas update soon; however it won't be to the extent of last year! Pretty much all of our lads are staying here for this winter.
That's surprising. We started last season undercooked I wonder what they're doing to avoid the same again.

Plus why is this happening. Is it out of the clubs control e.g. changing visa rules, lack of support from a cash strapped ECB or what? And what will they be doing if not playing cricket matches.

That's surprising. We started last season undercooked I wonder what they're doing to avoid the same again.

Plus why is this happening. Is it out of the clubs control e.g. changing visa rules, lack of support from a cash strapped ECB or what? And what will they be doing if not playing cricket matches.

I doubt whether going away or staying at home will have much of an effect on how we would start a domestic summer anyway - for me the reason we were so undercooked was because of the distinct lack of red ball practice on home pitches in the month leading up to the start of the season. The weather was absolutely shite throughout March which meant most of our friendly fixtures were either cancelled before we travelled or washed out.

Worth remembering too that the number of friendlies the club arranged was something I was very impressed by - it seemed like the first time in ages we were taking pre-season seriously but alas, Mother Nature was the winner.

Would love most of our lads getting a few months of hard cricket over the winter mind, goes without saying, but being positive - I would hope there’s much to be gained from having all the squad (or 90% of it) together throughout the winter months in the nets working hard for 2019.

Is it April yet?! :cool:

There is usually an Academy player heading off to Christchurch, New Zealand for the winter.
Tom Hewison was the "exchange" player last winter, but, as usual, no news from Durham CCC.

Back