Durham House (Tall black Washington building)

The village is the original Washington and the best part of it.

Everywhere was pit villages and all individual little communities. They basically filled in the gaps between the villages when they made the “new town”.

I live in the village and love it, people used to complain about its lack of cash machine, which doesn’t obviously matter now with most of the ones at the galleries being removed too.
There are still lots of older buildings in what were the pit villages.

Planning application currently in for housing of the whole site.
Gonna start a rumour on the washy Facebook group that mears have won the contract to convert the tower into flats as part of their HMO contract… the group lost its shit over one house in Donwell last week so can imagine the black tower could be the motherlode for smoking out the local bnp’ers…

The village is the original Washington and the best part of it.

Everywhere was pit villages and all individual little communities. They basically filled in the gaps between the villages when they made the “new town”.

I live in the village and love it, people used to complain about its lack of cash machine, which doesn’t obviously matter now with most of the ones at the galleries being removed too.
It's hard to find a cash machine that dispenses farthings and groats anyway

Is the original galleries building busy? Go to the retail park bit regularly but haven't been in the original building for years.

I only really use the Sainsbury’s if I’m in there but the centre does seem pretty busy. They managed to fill the Wilko unit straightaway

Think it helps having two massive supermarkets and a shed load of buses, gives people a reason to go into the centre.

It used to have about 359 million travel agents, I assume the people of Washington do not book online

I only really use the Sainsbury’s if I’m in there but the centre does seem pretty busy. They managed to fill the Wilko unit straightaway

Think it helps having two massive supermarkets and a shed load of buses, gives people a reason to go into the centre.

It used to have about 359 million travel agents, I assume the people of Washington do not book online
Still some travel agents there. Not as many as you saw though.

Very little competition around and arguably the only place in the area where you can do your weekly shop all under one roof, especially if you don't drive.

Reminds me of Cramlington (Manor Walks) which is very much the same, and very similar shops aswell.

Very little competition around and arguably the only place in the area where you can do your weekly shop all under one roof, especially if you don't drive.

Reminds me of Cramlington (Manor Walks) which is very much the same, and very similar shops aswell.

Aye must benefit from the diverse area as well. Whatever your budget, there’s a shop there for you. M&S expansion investment is a big deal - only Newcastle and Silverlink have gotten this level of investment.

Aye must benefit from the diverse area as well. Whatever your budget, there’s a shop there for you. M&S expansion investment is a big deal - only Newcastle and Silverlink have gotten this level of investment.

Yeah agreed, quite a range of shopping for everyone really. Massive coup the M&S like and a big draw for the place, especially when the clothes side has been shutting left, right and centre lately and mostly not replaced. I know Kingston Park is on borrowed time and is being downgraded to a food hall only soon.

Probably helps that there's people living in all directions aswell unlike Peterlee, Sunderland, South Shields and Hartlepool where one direction is the sea and not surprisingly all 4 of those are struggling too.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed, quite a range of shopping for everyone really. Massive coup the M&S like and a big draw for the place, especially when the clothes side has been shutting left, right and centre lately and mostly not replaced. I know Kingston Park is on borrowed time and is being downgraded to a food hall only soon.

Probably helps that there's people living in all directions aswell unlike Peterlee, Sunderland, South Shields and Hartlepool where one direction is the sea and not surprisingly all 4 of those are struggling too.

Catchment area must be huge like. You’ve got all of Washington, Birtley and Chester le Street, arguably the likes of ouston and heworth. Birtley and Washington are basically massive new build estates in large areas these days,

Catchment area must be huge like. You’ve got all of Washington, Birtley and Chester le Street, arguably the likes of ouston and heworth. Birtley and Washington are basically massive new build estates in large areas these days,

Aye defo, arguable quite a chunk of South Gateshead aswell really. Other than Team Valley not many options around especially for supermarkets since Gateshead Council have gone vendetta to make it impossible to drive to Tesco.

Aye defo, arguable quite a chunk of South Gateshead aswell really. Other than Team Valley not many options around especially for supermarkets since Gateshead Council have gone vendetta to make it impossible to drive to Tesco.

Gateshead Tesco gets on my wick! I don't know why they blocked off the access road for the car park if you come along Askew Road from the Redheugh roundabout.

With the roadworks on the Tyne Bridge having a knock on effect on the traffic, it takes forever sitting in traffic to do a lap of Gateshead to get into the car park now.

It's hard to find a cash machine that dispenses farthings and groats anyway
They have a version of the Coinstar machine, but with this one you feed in a £20 note and can choose from groats, farthings and even doubloons for the older folks.

Back