Durham Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not asking for much. What are you interested in - there no mention of cricket and yes if they want to find the money to wipe-out the debt then they can if they want to.

Not asking for much. What are you interested in - there no mention of cricket and yes if they want to find the money to wipe-out the debt then they can if they want to.

it suggests to me as if the council are actually making money. they seem financially secure, hence I hope they can help Durham CCC

it suggests to me as if the council are actually making money. they seem financially secure, hence I hope they can help Durham CCC
No they don't make money the accounting is completely different from being a company.

If they don't spend one year's allocation the excess goes into the reserves and then they decide how to use it next year.

But with a revenue budget of £480m and a reserve of £27m they can be creative if they want to be.... it seems they put money into Lumiere and Kynren last year.

No they don't make money the accounting is completely different from being a company.

If they don't spend one year's allocation the excess goes into the reserves and then they decide how to use it next year.

But with a revenue budget of £480m and a reserve of £27m they can be creative if they want to be.... it seems they put money into Lumiere and Kynren last year.

they will have plenty to go round.

I haven't read this but local authorities funding has been slashed with some fairly significant cost pressures.
£27m reserves on £480m isn't a great deal.

As much as I want Durham to do well, I would prefer the council to use its money to pay for teachers and public services than to bail out the local cricket team.

As much as I want Durham to do well, I would prefer the council to use its money to pay for teachers and public services than to bail out the local cricket team.

public services such as?

you are aware that the club provide a lot of services to youngsters, adults, disabled, elderly, school classes...........

There is always going to be a need to compare priorities for any Council but giving the club a helping hand would cost next to nothing for an Authority of the size of Durham. They can do it they want to.

tbh: The cricket club is a resources for the whole region not just the small part that is now County Durham. Other Authorities should put their hand in their pockets especially the likes of Sunderland, Gateshead and South Tyneside.

I agree but the council have plenty of funds to go around. It's staggering how much people are falling for the "we are poor" austerity line from them
They had to cut 90m a year by 2017, so presume that process is still ongoing

The reverses are probably a legal requirement tbf

There is always going to be a need to compare priorities for any Council but giving the club a helping hand would cost next to nothing for an Authority of the size of Durham. They can do it they want to.

tbh: The cricket club is a resources for the whole region not just the small part that is now County Durham. Other Authorities should put their hand in their pockets especially the likes of Sunderland, Gateshead and South Tyneside.
Agree there, there should be a larger body representing the region than can help out

They had to cut 90m a year by 2017, so presume that process is still ongoing

The reverses are probably a legal requirement tbf
Ye there are, but it doesn't seem to be a fixed amount. They have to have reserves that are not too big and not too small, so for example if they are involved in a large capital scheme there's the risk of it going over budget and they must be able to cover that without having to borrow, at a sensible level so they may decide to have larger reserves. But the decision and the blame if it's wrong, is up to them.

And the reserves are audited.

you can set your clock by someone having to explain to WHED that the council are required by law to hold a certain sum in reserve - we had all this when he was mincing about the DLI closing down. Obviously I like cricket but I'd be uncomfortable with DCC bailing the cricket club out

you can set your clock by someone having to explain to WHED that the council are required by law to hold a certain sum in reserve - we had all this when he was mincing about the DLI closing down. Obviously I like cricket but I'd be uncomfortable with DCC bailing the cricket club out

The Council spends money on all kinds of things - and that's right. The question is: is DCCC an asset to the area, does it produce benefits we want to see continuing and what happens if DCCC refuses to help?

The Council spends money promoting the area, if DCCC goes bust, which it might, it will be a big blow imho.

Obviously I like cricket but I'd be uncomfortable with DCC bailing the cricket club out

so you wouldn't have a problem with all the kids who used the clubs facilities for winter schools etc etc just to hang around on the street corners. If memory serves right, you live and/or work not too far from the cricket ground, surely you would rather see kids using such facilities than hanging around street corners up to no good?

I think a lot of people fail to realise the good that the club do to the wider community. People seemingly think it hosts Durham games and that's it.

Mind you we keep hearing the club is a region club, I don't see much in the way of help coming from whatever council serve Gosforth for example....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back