Durham Cathedral

It pisses all over St Paul’s man, a blind man with a stickle bricks can build better than St.Pauls

For all i've lived up here all my life i've never been to Durham Cathedral whereas i've been in St Pauls (whispering gallery)..the full tour..found it jaw dropping like..i'll get myself to Durham for a look.

Doesnt really need saying for those of us who know. Balls to the outsiders let them finger themsens silly ower somewhere daft like Ely or Canterbury
Exactly mate....St.Pauls!:lol: I just don’t get how anyone can say it’s not the best building ever....perfect symmetry, built hundreds of years ago...just simply stunning.

For all i've lived up here all my life i've never been to Durham Cathedral whereas i've been in St Pauls (whispering gallery)..the full tour..found it jaw dropping like..i'll get myself to Durham for a look.
:eek:You’re doing your best to get reported aren’t you? Get yourself up to the cathedral ASAP, you won’t be disappointed.

Exactly mate....St.Pauls!:lol: I just don’t get how anyone can say it’s not the best building ever....perfect symmetry, built hundreds of years ago...just simply stunning.

:eek:You’re doing your best to get reported aren’t you? Get yourself up to the cathedral ASAP, you won’t be disappointed.

My brothers been and apparently you can go right to the top of it??..i'll have a look and report back..when it gets a bit warmer like..:oops:

My brothers been and apparently you can go right to the top of it??..i'll have a look and report back..when it gets a bit warmer like..:oops:
You can but not at the minute, renovation work going on on the tower, it’s still worth going though. Some of the stats about the place are class like the main pillars having the same circumference as they are tall, the Rose window being the biggest stained glass window (could be wrong ok that one), the anomalies in the carvings on the main pillars where the stone mason dropped a bollock, the gargoyles...the list goes on!

Anyone know when the scaffolding\building work is going to be finished on the main tower? It has been ongoing for yonks.

You can but not at the minute, renovation work going on on the tower, it’s still worth going though. Some of the stats about the place are class like the main pillars having the same circumference as they are tall, the Rose window being the biggest stained glass window (could be wrong ok that one), the anomalies in the carvings on the main pillars where the stone mason dropped a bollock, the gargoyles...the list goes on!
Aye, this ^^^^

Been to both and like Durham best. Definitely the better out of the two.

Did you go all the way to the top of St Pauls? Didn't like the stairs but the view from the top was brilliant.

Anyone know when the scaffolding\building work is going to be finished on the main tower? It has been ongoing for yonks.

Don't know but I'm Durham often and monitoring it for @JonnotheMackem I'll report back when I see it has been removed!

Been to both and like Durham best. Definitely the better out of the two.

Did you go all the way to the top of St Pauls? Didn't like the stairs but the view from the top was brilliant.

The day i was there you were only allowed as far as the Whispering Gallery..i got wrong for getting my phone out..this vicar type bloke appeared from nowhere 'no photos and no filming'..amazing place like.

Don't know but I'm Durham often and monitoring it for @JonnotheMackem I'll report back when I see it has been removed!

Just googled about it..didn't realise it was so old..St Pauls is canny modern compared to it.

Last edited:
The day i was there you were only allowed as far as the Whispering Gallery..i got wrong for getting my phone out..this vicar type bloke appeared from nowhere 'no photos and no filming'..amazing place like.

They have camera police in Durham mind!

After the whispering gallery, the dome is hollow with a rickety metal fire escape type staircase. My eldest isn't good with heights, so I'm pleased we left him at the bottom as he wouldn't have coped with looking down at all the space under his feet!

Just googled about it..didn't realise it was so old..St Pauls is canny modern compared to it.
:cool:Yep, again that’s something else that makes it so outstanding
The main fault on the zig zag pillar was intentional as the designers wanted to prove that only God is perfect, or something like that.
ah is that right? Knew there was some story behind but thought it was a fuck up.

They have camera police in Durham mind!

After the whispering gallery, the dome is hollow with a rickety metal fire escape type staircase. My eldest isn't good with heights, so I'm pleased we left him at the bottom as he wouldn't have coped with looking down at all the space under his feet!

I wasn't comfortable on the Whispering Gallery like..it's a bit 'rickety' like..the bit i filmed before i got wrong shows down to the floor..it's a long way down..i can only imagine what the top looking down is like.

:lol:

The main fault on the zig zag pillar was intentional as the designers wanted to prove that only God is perfect, or something like that.

Canny excuse for making a balls up like.

Last edited:

Back