Durham 2019

brandon

Striker
The next chapter?

No reason for Durham to hold baggage of sanction any more - Marcus North - Cricbuzz

I know we’re still weeks away and of course the forecast snow doesn’t exactly bring cricket to the forefront of people’s thoughts - but following the Geoff Cook interview and now this, it’s on my radar again.

Now that the formalities of the appointment are taken care of, Franklin will be getting straight to work - a fresh start, fresh ideas, hope and bags of optimism.

Can we achieve promotion? Or is simply getting some sort of improvement from last years showing the plan? Clearly we all want to win every game, but in this possible ‘next chapter’ of the wonderful story of DCCC, is it most important that players improve? If there’s one thing the Geoff Cook interview taught me (or atleast made me appreciate once again) it is that the philosophy of our club, the reason that we exist, is to produce world class talent straight from our own communities.

It’s highly unlikely that we will suddenly unearth the next Collingwood/Harmison/Onions in the space of one season and so perhaps the important thing for 2019 is simply to see growth and development from our fledgling squad.

Either way, it’ll soon be here ;)

Completely agree and I was just thinking the same. That interview reminded my why I take the interest in Durham that I do, over and above liking cricket.

You hear people on here at different times criticise Colly or Harmison but they're the people who keep me interested, along with Onions, Rushy and in fact the whole lot of local players whether or not they thought they thought had to go to Surrey.

I hope and believe the ethos of the club will still continue be to give local lads a chance. In Beefy and North at the helm they at least have people who have some appreciation of the area and will continue Cook's work. Don Robson's words on why Durham became a 1st class County in the first place should be engraved on a stone somewhere, hopefully it is.

So for me, I'm not eager to go all out to win and bringing in bringing in lots of outsiders. I want to see locals play and hopefully do well.

Completely agree and I was just thinking the same. That interview reminded my why I take the interest in Durham that I do, over and above liking cricket.

You hear people on here at different times criticise Colly or Harmison but they're the people who keep me interested, along with Onions, Rushy and in fact the whole lot of local players whether or not they thought they thought had to go to Surrey.

I hope and believe the ethos of the club will still continue be to give local lads a chance. In Beefy and North at the helm they at least have people who have some appreciation of the area and will continue Cook's work. Don Robson's words on why Durham became a 1st class County in the first place should be engraved on a stone somewhere, hopefully it is.

So for me, I'm not eager to go all out to win and bringing in bringing in lots of outsiders. I want to see locals play and hopefully do well.
I dont think Don Robson's influence on the club and the original ethos can be understated in any way

In some ways its good for a new start with but it seems there hasnt been a complete clean sweep as some of the coaching staff remain. Hopefully they adapt and change to the new ways of thinking

I dont think Don Robson's influence on the club and the original ethos can be understated in any way

In some ways its good for a new start with but it seems there hasnt been a complete clean sweep as some of the coaching staff remain. Hopefully they adapt and change to the new ways of thinking

Regarding Don Robson - absolutely. Can’t echo that sentiment enough.

Regarding the coaches, do you mean Killeen and Walker? Surely nobody will appreciate our reason for being more than Neil Killeen? He was THE original homegrown youngster - who the club gained first class status for. As for Walker, he’s been around long enough to get it too - if anything, I’d put emphasis on those two teaching Franklin what we’re all about.

Interview with North in Cricketpaper last week
1 Pre-season tour of S. Africa in March
2 Expect to announce T20 overseas player shortly
2 Captain will be selected after Franklin arrives-1st March.

Beginning to look as if we can't find a batting coach. Not surprising really seeing as England can't even find one.

Last edited:

Back