Duffy reveals she was raped and held captive

One of her tunes was on the radio the other morning coming into work and at the time I remember thinking what the hell happened to her. She literally just "vanished" from music. Guess this is the reason why!?

It's a fucked up world when people can just do this to anyone they like, even more so someone massively in the limelight who could/should be missed.

So did this kidnapping happen when she was at the height of her fame 10 years ago, then when she survived it she went off grid since then till now trying to deal with it?

I think I've missed something.

So did this kidnapping happen when she was at the height of her fame 10 years ago, then when she survived it she went off grid since then till now trying to deal with it?

I think I've missed something.
That’s how I’m reading it ...she was very popular then just vanished overnight without explanation... surprised more hasn’t been revealed about the alleged assailant... I mean ...kidnapped and raped.. that’s some serious shite for the poor lass

That’s how I’m reading it ...she was very popular then just vanished overnight without explanation... surprised more hasn’t been revealed about the alleged assailant... I mean ...kidnapped and raped.. that’s some serious shite for the poor lass
Every victim of sex crimes have the right to anonymity so it's that I expect. It's probably been to court and they guy has been sentenced (I hope) it just won't have been reported who the victim was.

Wonder if this happened before she released Mercy?

As the lyrics in that are I want you to release me?
That was 2008 mate, and i don't think she would have used her attack as fodder for a song. It looks as though it would have been 2010/11
Every victim of sex crimes have the right to anonymity so it's that I expect. It's probably been to court and they guy has been sentenced (I hope) it just won't have been reported who the victim was.
Chances are he's out now.

Last edited:
Horrific but how the hell do you drug someone and get them thro customs, airport etc?
I was thinking this... she wouldn't have brought her passport to a restaurant so she must have been smuggled out of the country but then she flew back with him seems crazy that she wasn't recognised at all given the height of her fame.

It sounds to me like it's someone she knew and given the way she was taken out of the country, probably someone rich or with connections - a music producer, manager or someone of that Ilk.
yes but she must have had her passport to travel back with him so did she bring that to dinner? it is just terrifying that someone can be taken like that, someone who is recognisable and famous and travelling on their passport

Has the guy been jailed? I read the bbc article and he isn’t named and there isn’t any reference to it, just saying she was afraid to go to the police.

Really bizarre story for some of the reasons mentioned above and horrendous for her.

Back