Drinking in Sunderland city centre

It's good that they are working together, something that is definitely needed in Sunderland.

Used to happen all the time in the early 00s and yous get a few different routes going which made for a better night out.

Tried a fair few times to try and get something like that going for gigs and thing a canny few years ago bit most didn't want to know then.

Hope it works, the Keel Square side of the town looks like it could be really good in a few years time as it continues to be built up, could really do with a few bars linking its way to Sunniside.

The otherside of town looks like it's gonna die though.

Some interesting exceptions from the list of pubs and restaurants who are, quite rightly, trying to work together. It really needs all independents to be working together to drive footfall.
though, very positively, I have started to hear a lot more accents from up the road in recent months, groups of lads and couples coming through on the metro. Many of them have been appearing in The Ship Isis for pizza before moving on.

Some interesting exceptions from the list of pubs and restaurants who are, quite rightly, trying to work together. It really needs all independents to be working together to drive footfall.
though, very positively, I have started to hear a lot more accents from up the road in recent months, groups of lads and couples coming through on the metro. Many of them have been appearing in The Ship Isis for pizza before moving on.
Also hearing that Proven People is getting people through who would normally head to Newcastle, the Washington crowd.

At both the Daintees and Dr Feelgood gigs at the Peacock there were Tyneside people there.

They used to chip in and put buses and that on that would go down Durham Road and pick up at The Board In , Prospect etc and other places as well which was a good idea for getting people into town.

I remember when they used to put the limos on and pick up outside of certain pubs and take you to the next one.

Used to get the tickets as well for free beers which was awesome, though prob not allowed today tbf but you could make a night off that going round the bars that participated.

Seen nowt like that for a good decade and a half, the town centre has been left to rot a canny while and it shows but there is potential for it to be a really good night out again.

I absolutely hate the phrase “use them if lose them”. Maybe it should be “provide what people want or go bust” instead.
Yeah I get this as well. Supply and demand.

I get support you local city but you shouldnt be required to support something if you don't enjoy it.

If you aren't getting enough people through to pay the bills then you obviously need to consider what will attract more people. Hopefully this is a start of that and we see the nightlife being more attractive to more people.

What do people want then?
No idea with Sunderland city centre but the idea that customers should somehow be morally obliged to use a business, even if that business doesn’t really cater to their needs, is just a bit odd.
Well it's your choice support the city centre or let it die.
I support places I like because I like them, it’s pretty simple really.

Also hearing that Proven People is getting people through who would normally head to Newcastle, the Washington crowd.

I know groups of lads from Washy who still come through and drink in Sunderland, some of which are mags. I was out with some of them after a matchday recently, they come through and meet us after the match sometimes and we make a night of it but they also drink in Sunderland on non match days as well.

No idea with Sunderland city centre but the idea that customers should somehow be morally obliged to use a business, even if that business doesn’t really cater to their needs, is just a bit odd.

Well you said provide what people want or go bust. Then you say you have no idea what people want.

Pure snobbery if you as me.

I go out every weekend, trying different places all the time. Pizza and Music at Proven People. Mexican fusion at Mexico 70. Fine food at Spent Grain. Cocktails and drinks at Cafe 1851. Sunniside area, Green terrace to Empire area. Loads of places to go and try, I've just scratched the surface

No need to be patronising as I said it's your choice.

Well you said provide what people want or go bust. Then you say you have no idea what people want.

I go out every weekend, trying different places all the time. Pizza and Music at Proven People. Mexican fusion at Mexico 70. Fine food at Spent Grain. Cocktails and drinks at Cafe 1851. Sunniside area, Green terrace to Empire area. Loads of places to go and try, I've just scratched the surface
I’m not sure you’re getting my point, I’m not saying there aren’t plenty of places in Sunderland giving people what they want, of course there are. I just don’t like the “use them or lose them” phrase as it suggests an obligation on the customer where as really it’s down to the business to attract customers.

Cracking post.

I've used all the places that you have mentioned and enjoy them all particularly Spentgrain.

I also like the Ivy House cracking food and a great selection of drinks.

Back