Draft 2020 fixture schedule

Yeah I agree about T20 been on bbc, but it would still need to be on in the middle of the summer the school holidays for example and really promote it big style to possible new fans.

We can’t just say some like cricket some don’t, otherwise the ones that don’t will and are increasing, then where does that leave the game.

Whichever where we look at it, imo whoever is in charge have to make attempts to improve participation of playing the game.

There is a lot of talk obout the county championship not been in the middle of the summer, and of course it’s understandable the frustrations of those fans.

But we have to be realistic, and I mean this with all respect, new fans are not going to be drawn to the game, watching a batsman bat all day, while people talk about good leaves and he knows where his off stump is, where there just might watching international stars hitting the ball out the park, and close tense exciting matches which the shorter format provides a hell of a lot more of.
Whether crickets traditional fans like it or not, cricket needs to be made more exciting!

You keep saying that cricket needs to be made more exciting which suggests to me that you only started watching the game circa 2003-2005!

Yeah I agree about T20 been on bbc, but it would still need to be on in the middle of the summer the school holidays for example and really promote it big style to possible new fans.

We can’t just say some like cricket some don’t, otherwise the ones that don’t will and are increasing, then where does that leave the game.

Whichever where we look at it, imo whoever is in charge have to make attempts to improve participation of playing the game.

There is a lot of talk obout the county championship not been in the middle of the summer, and of course it’s understandable the frustrations of those fans.

But we have to be realistic, and I mean this with all respect, new fans are not going to be drawn to the game, watching a batsman bat all day, while people talk about good leaves and he knows where his off stump is, where there just might watching international stars hitting the ball out the park, and close tense exciting matches which the shorter format provides a hell of a lot more of.
Whether crickets traditional fans like it or not, cricket needs to be made more exciting!

Was it not made more exciting with T20 then?

That was the new game in 2003. Brought in crowds and money and still does. The ECB are now bringing out something new. What does it have to offer that T20 doesn't?

That was the new game in 2003. Brought in crowds and money and still does. The ECB are now bringing out something new. What does it have to offer that T20 doesn't?
Frankly no. A bit boring.

I don't think having T20 during the school holidays really matters unless you're going to have games on at 1:30 on a Tuesday afternoon.

I don't think youngsters have ever been attracted initially to cricket by the longer form of the game. When competative cricket was played in schools it was the 20 overs game not a whole day game-youngsters simply haven't got the concentration for that.
The financial fact, however, is that it's test cricket, not T20 that brings in the most money. Last season's Ashes tests grossed over £50m which far exceeds T20 revenue. Likewise test cricket appeals more to the sports TV companies as it occupies more screen time than T20. County championship cricket is the essential feed for test cricket. Domestic T20 gates, however, have increased year on year which proved that this form of cricket is successfully attracting more youngsters to the game.
Why then,VoFP, marginalize these 2 successful formats for an unproven format? There's simply no need for it nor any concrete evidence that there's any demand for it. T20 has already proved that it's a format that is increasingly appealing to youngsters.

You keep saying that cricket needs to be made more exciting which suggests to me that you only started watching the game circa 2003-2005!

I dont get why you think that?

It’s not me who it needs to be made more exciting for!

I am happy the way it is!

I have been watching since 1978.

It’s needs to be more exciting to attract more people to the game, new people

Last edited:
It’s not me who it needs to be made more exciting for!

I am happy the way it is!

I have watching since around 1978.

It’s needs to be more exciting to attract more people to the game, new people

Not at the detriment of the current forms and for current fans it doesn't. Cricket in this country at present is pretty well attended with the exception of county cricket which is usually scheduled Monday - Thursday now, I wonder why the crowds are sparse?

Nothing that’s not what I am saying or have ever said would be more than happy for T20 to be promoted more as love it and am a very big fan, have said soo loads of times
Not at the detriment of the current forms and for current fans it doesn't. Cricket in this country at present is pretty well attended with the exception of county cricket which is usually scheduled Monday - Thursday now, I wonder why the crowds are sparse?

The bottom line is more new patricaption of the game is needed at ground level, especially in this area.

Playing a shorter format in the middle of the summer whether T20 or the hundred is more likely to attract kids to the game than county championship games.
For what it's worth- the most exciting game I saw at the Riverside in 2019 by a considerable distance was the Championship game against Derbyshire.

Is that not because you love Durham and cricket as a whole?

Would a netrual new person to the game enjoyed it?
I don't think youngsters have ever been attracted initially to cricket by the longer form of the game. When competative cricket was played in schools it was the 20 overs game not a whole day game-youngsters simply haven't got the concentration for that.
The financial fact, however, is that it's test cricket, not T20 that brings in the most money. Last season's Ashes tests grossed over £50m which far exceeds T20 revenue. Likewise test cricket appeals more to the sports TV companies as it occupies more screen time than T20. County championship cricket is the essential feed for test cricket. Domestic T20 gates, however, have increased year on year which proved that this form of cricket is successfully attracting more youngsters to the game.
Why then,VoFP, marginalize these 2 successful formats for an unproven format? There's simply no need for it nor any concrete evidence that there's any demand for it. T20 has already proved that it's a format that is increasingly appealing to youngsters.

Once again mate I agree T20 is brilliant and as I have said before would have been more than happy for the current T20 been promoted more and don’t think there is a need for another format.

My argument has always been we need a shorter format in the middle of the summer to attract youngsters to the game and would have been more than happy for that to be T20.
I am not a big fan of ' The Hundred' far from it, I am a big fan of a shorter form of the game with exciting tense fans finishes ( which happen far more imo in a shorter format) been played at the best time of the year with the best weather to get more people into the game of cricket.

And that shorter format is promoted more on free to air telly more and competing with other attractions.

Whether that be T20 or ' the hundred' not really fussed!

Last edited:
Raises hand!

I can only speak for myself but it was watching cricket on the telly, black and white, Edrich, Snow etc. that got me interested.

Then much later 1st class cricket.

It's the developing story of a game that gets me, even if it finishes a draw. It pulls you in.

Back