Doreen Lawrence says Grenfell tragedy was linked to racism

I'd have said it's more likely that the building wasn't updated or cared for as much because it had a high number of black people living in it.
If you want to go for a racism argument, maybe look at that and blame the Tories.

For one thing, you'd probably be right
Bingo.
Although I'd still be wary of the term "racist". I think I'd err more on the people living there being on the bottom rung of society and the Tories just not giving a tuppenny shite.

Doreen Lawrence says Grenfell tragedy was linked to racism

Apparently she thinks the fire brigade didn't try as hard as they would have if the building was full of white people.

Discuss.
The firefighters arrived in 6 minutes
They were in the flat within 15 minutes
Less than 5 minutes later it had already spread to the flammable cladding.

There are a lot of things that happen in this country that could be considered in some way racist.

The action of those firefighters that night is not one of them.

I'd have said it's more likely that the building wasn't updated or cared for as much because it had a high number of black people living in it.
If you want to go for a racism argument, maybe look at that and blame the Tories.

For one thing, you'd probably be right
She said if there had been white people in there they would have tried harder to get them out.
What’s that got to do with any other argument, the state of the building the Tories etc?

She said if there had been white people in there they would have tried harder to get them out.
What’s that got to do with any other argument, the state of the building the Tories etc?

Surely that statement alone is defamatory and racist in itself.

What I was saying was if she was going to look for a racism angle, it would have been my original post, but as @ajthemackem rightly pointed out, it wasn't so much race as it was the Tories not giving a shit about poor people living in high rise flats

Last edited:
Bingo.
Although I'd still be wary of the term "racist". I think I'd err more on the people living there being on the bottom rung of society and the Tories just not giving a tuppenny shite.
Yes, more to do with not giving a fuck about the people at the bottom of society, just happens a lot of people in London falling into that bracket aren't white. The assertion she is making about there would have been a greater effort to save people if they were white is f***ing bonkers. She needs to engage her brain before letting her tongue flap about.

Surely that statement alone is defamatory and racist in itself.
thats the point.
The firefighters arrived in 6 minutes
They were in the flat within 15 minutes
Less than 5 minutes later it had already spread to the flammable cladding.

There are a lot of things that happen in this country that could be considered in some way racist.

The action of those firefighters that night is not one of them.
agreed.

Back