Don McCullin

Status
Not open for further replies.

2310 Return

Just watched the masterclass programme with Michael Parkinson. Fascinating programme about an incredible photographer. Came across as being a really modest bloke who has seen things none of us would ever wish to.

He has seen, from what he described, truly terrible things - people murdered in front of him (war photographer.) He later turned away from war photography and decided to capture scenes in Britain.

The 1000 Yard Stare:

The 1000 yard stare (or was it 1000 mile - I can't remember.) An American soldier going through a mental breakdown whilst serving in Viet Nam.

Logon or register to see this image

Down And Out

A down and out: The guy spent several weeks with the down and outs whom he described as being people who were mentally ill removed from their institutions / mental hospitals. This guy learned to trust him a little and hence he got the shot. What an incredible portrait! "He had the bluest eyes I have ever seen":

(Where have I seen that shot before - its incredibly famous - but I can't get the context?)

West Hartlepool 1963

Finally a shot that I absolutely love: The guy drove up (and back) from London to take this in West Hartlepool after he had turned to Landscape Photography. This was the harsh winter in 1963, just 5 or 6 months after I was born there. He was so chuffed with the shot that, driving home, he became distracted and crashed into a bus! (He knew he had the scene right - but was just awaiting a foreground subject - then the bloke in the shot just had the good grace to walk into frame...and bang!)

By God, Hartlepool in 1963 looked like a rough, rough place. The graininess of the shot really emphasises that.

Great programme - and the guy came over as having wonderful integrity - but you can just sense that he has been close to - or has actually experienced - breakdown as a result of some of the things that he has seen.

They displayed his Nikon film camera. complete with the bullet hole from his war photographer days.

Fascinating mix of subjects - but the common thread running through is the quality of the photographer! In war zones - he would pop up with a light metre moments before taking the shot:

"If I'm going to die - I'm going to die getting the exposure right!!"

Brilliant!!

Aye impressive stuff

Was surprised to discover when I lived in Scarbs he had a photo of a game of footy on the beach with the Grand hotel in the background

Aye impressive stuff

Was surprised to discover when I lived in Scarbs he had a photo of a game of footy on the beach with the Grand hotel in the background

The McCain stadium? "The Theatre of Chips!!!" :lol::lol:

I can't begin to compete with the quality of Don McCullin - but have thought a little about the industrial heritage of my birthplace as reflected in the shot shown earlier.

I moved on to the industrial heritage of my childhood.....

I don't live anywhere near Horden these days - but here is a shot of the Colliery in its prime. It had a strange beauty of sorts (if you look hard enough!!!!)

Horden Colliery From School V4 by joe-white, on Flickr

I haven't seen too many grainy shots of this wonderful old place!!! Here's one for posterity!! :cool:

Last edited:
The McCain stadium? "The Theatre of Chips!!!" :lol:

I can't begin to compete with the quality of Don McCullin - but have thought a little about the industrial heritage of my birthplace as reflected in the shot shown earlier.

I moved on to the industrial heritage of my childhood.....

I don't live anywhere near Horden these days - but here is a shot of the Colliery in its prime. It had a strange beauty of sorts (if you look hard enough!!!!)

I haven't seen too many grainy shots of this wonderful old place!!! Here's one for posterity!! :cool:

Silver fx will mccullinise it for you ;)

Silver fx will mccullinise it for you ;)

Can't manage Silver FX (Top Level Google said it was bespoke sportswear, leisurewear and School Uniform - though got the hang of it further down) - but had a quick go at making it black and white with a slight over sharpening - intended to create some grain. I'm sure there's a much more elegeant way of doing that sort of thing..

Still....McCullin is a faint spot way off in the distance! Can't even compete with a 5% McCulliniser rating!!

I'm not a big fan of artificial Black and White - though it appeals to the psychological reminiscence.

Didn't catch the program but sounds like a good watch!

That pic of Hartlepool is amazing... love the way the fallen down fence twists up from the ground like that and leads you to the industrial setting. You're right that the grain really adds to the image and the deolate atmosphere

Didn't catch the program but sounds like a good watch!

That pic of Hartlepool is amazing... love the way the fallen down fence twists up from the ground like that and leads you to the industrial setting. You're right that the grain really adds to the image and the deolate atmosphere

It is a class photo like.

Film grain can be the photographer's friend (unlike that nasty noise stuff). There are times when it's a pain in the arse (in which case there are plenty of ways to avoid it) but sometimes a bit of grain really does look right.

Wow, some great stuff. I'm fascinated with war photography. Would love to do some, just not in a war zone with all those bullets and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back