BBC Dodds hopeful of Sunderland returnees after break

RTG

Robot
Staff member
From BBC Sport.

Sunderland will have players back to help reverse their Championship slump after the international break, says boss Mike Dodds.

more...

Feels like a massively overpositive headline and article when you look at the three players mentioned.

Dack - done absolutely nothing for us.
Evans - hasn't played since January 2023. Surely won't be straight back into the starting line up and IMO he's not that great anyway.
Alese - are we really going to repeat previous mistakes with him and put him straight back in and risk him breaking down again?

Although I agree with that selection. It just shows (again) that the first team didn't get strengthened in January when two players brought in are immediately benched.
Both brought in to cover that left back spot and as we saw saturday its proved to be a vulnerability . Styles is only a loan and to be fair i think they mainly have Hjelder down as back up CB when the fog lifts.
But i agree it wasnt progressive.

Both brought in to cover that left back spot and as we saw saturday its proved to be a vulnerability . Styles is only a loan and to be fair i think they mainly have Hjelder down as back up CB when the fog lifts.
But i agree it wasnt progressive.

Both a waste really when other positions needed more attention. Hjelde is never a LB and the rumored 2m he's cost is an absolute disgrace if true. Styles' loan has been suggested that there's also the option of a permanent move attached in the summer. Styles has said we were after him before so that could well turn out to be a possibility. He's also been very poor in the games he's played in and again hasn't improved the first 11.

The team is full of squad fillers who can cover a range of positions, but don't stand out in any.

Back