Doctor sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The book's class , I've read it a couple of times.

Can't wait to see if the film does it justice, Stephen King hated The Shining so let's hope he thinks this one's a better adaption

Can't wait to see if the film does it justice, Stephen King hated The Shining so let's hope he thinks this one's a better adaption
I'd heard that but couldn't believe it. It's a brilliant film.

Stephen King tbf acknowledged that The Shining was a good film but it was changed so much from the book it was no longer really his story. As much as I love the film, it does miss the point of the book that the main character is meant to be a fairly ordinary bloke - he has his demons but who doesn’t? - that is driven round the twist by the evil lurking in that place. As soon as you see Jack Nicholson at the start of the film you are certain that a long winter snowed in on his own in an empty hotel would have him on a murderous rampage, no question. Also the ending of the book - one of the King horror novels where the ending isn’t disappointing as well - is totally different to the film.

King supervised a miniseries adaptation of the book in the 1990s. I’ve never seen it, and tbh I probably prefer to have the book telling his story and the 1980 film because as different as it is it’s totally iconic.

Went to see it on Wednesday, we both thought it was really good . We’ve both read the book , there are differences but I enjoyed the film .
I’ve always thought Stephen King’s books would work better as a series as there’s too much detail in them for a two hour film .

Stephen King tbf acknowledged that The Shining was a good film but it was changed so much from the book it was no longer really his story. As much as I love the film, it does miss the point of the book that the main character is meant to be a fairly ordinary bloke - he has his demons but who doesn’t? - that is driven round the twist by the evil lurking in that place. As soon as you see Jack Nicholson at the start of the film you are certain that a long winter snowed in on his own in an empty hotel would have him on a murderous rampage, no question. Also the ending of the book - one of the King horror novels where the ending isn’t disappointing as well - is totally different to the film.

King supervised a miniseries adaptation of the book in the 1990s. I’ve never seen it, and tbh I probably prefer to have the book telling his story and the 1980 film because as different as it is it’s totally iconic.

What is the ending of the book as I have no real intention of reading it but have seen the film. Spoilers if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back