Do you remember Bennett v Speedie - a third of a century ago OTD

C.ra.ig

Midfield
Gary Bennett v David Speedie was 33 years ago tonight - a third of a century since a memorable League Cup quarter-final.
Both saw red for the incident on The Clock Stand side - remember watching it from the Fulwell End and wishing Benno had gone further! Ended 0-0 in front of 27,218 fans and sadly suffered a 5-0 beating in the replay.
Was confident going into the game, but Coventry were probably better than I thought they were- and they had won the FA Cup only three years previously.

Fascinating footage of Sunderland’s 2-1 win over Spurs on a Roker Park mudbath 53 years ago today.
Strangely the Fulwell End centre section is pretty sparse but the main stand side looks very busy. Only a fourth win of the season for the hosts, thanks to Billy Hughes and Gordon Harris, and a second against Tottenham. The crowd was given as 13,933.

Niall Quinn’s six-minute first-half double sealed a 2-1 Championship win for table-topping Sunderland over Ipswich on this day 24 years ago, watched by 39,835.

Last edited:

I was at the Cov. game and was hoping for Bennett to batter the irritating twt when they went down the tunnel. I wasn't too far from the paddock incident bit after one of my late arrivals.

Roker End at the time.

I was down for the drubbing and was arrested. Cells were full down Coventry apparently so I was just flung out with many others.

Last edited:
My then new wife’s first home game. Absolutely freezing and close enough in clock stand to the incident for my wife to be scared to death. Not by speedie coming into the crowd but by this enormous tattooed thing that knocked her sideways trying to get at him

1990 was a vintage year for big Gary.
As well as wiping out Speedie (who was always an edgy little prick), you also had this moment of Bergkampesque brilliance from later that year.

Coincidentally, I watched the full game of that one yesterday while i was "working from home". Keiron Brady had hit the post following a corner seconds earlier and Benno was still up after the corner. Also noticed Sunderland fans in both the Roker Centre and larger Main Stand Corner. Surely Man Utd weren't just under the scoreboard? They would have got a bigger allocation than that. Something in the back of my mind says that they were given the Roker Wing seats and paddocks of the Clock Stand too ?

I was
Level with it.

We tried to drag the little twat into the stand.

Must have been near me - right next to camera pit, 20 sets of hands made a grab, I just wasn't quite close enough!

I remember her...

My wife's first game too, she carried a bit of weight back then, but had some excellent tattoos. ♥️

Last edited:
I was in the Roker end remember seeing it again later on the telly and thinking Speedie never looked at the ball always looking to take Bennet out Tw@t

Back