Disc or Digital Copy

Haven’t bought the disc version of a game in about 5 years.

Mainly because I’m a lazy bastard and there’s considerably less places to buy games than there was a decade ago.

Generally buy digital for ease, especially when offers and indies appear but I do buy physical now and then when there's a decent price drop on something I want. Just bought Lego Star Wars Saga and Like a Dragon Ishin! on physical from Amazon last week during a sale.

Only my oldest has a disc drive in his series X, the other has a series s and laptop and neither have a disc drive. Never bought a disc for this gen

I have a pretty large collection of discs from the Xbox 360 era, but largely never buy them anymore. I think I only bought a dozen during the Xbox One era and haven't bought a single one yet during the Series X

Personally I think digital copies should be unique and you should be free to trade them if you wish, similar to a hard copy.

If it’s a game I’ll play all year round and often with little resale value, like FIFA or NHL I’ll buy digital.

If I think I can complete the game quickly so I can sell it on or it’ll look nice in a collection I’ll go disc version.

Since buying a PS5 I would say I’m more 90% digital, 10% disc.

For all I prefer a disc version it is canny just hopping between games without having to get up and change discs. I bought a 2tb M2 SSD for my PS5 to have certain games permanently installed like GTA, RDR2, CoD and FIFA. Comes in handy as they are usually big installs so they are always there when I fancy them.

If I am buying games as new releases then always discs but if it's an older game then I'll keep an eye out for sales of either version so I have quite a mix.
Interesting, what are your reasons mate? I'm the same but when I bought Hogwarts, for whatever reason I needed to eject and place the disc back in at times to make it work, unsure if that's a disc or xbox issue. It got me thinking I wouldn't have that problem if it was digital. I get both, but I do prefer a hard copy. Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing for me too.

Have you got a PS or an Xbox?

Last edited:
Interesting, what are your reasons mate? I'm the same but when I bought Hogwarts, for whatever reason I needed to eject and place the disc back in at times to make it work, unsure if that's a disc or xbox issue. It got me thinking I wouldn't have that problem if it was digital. I get both, but I do prefer a hard copy. Perhaps it's a nostalgia thing for me too.

Have you got a PS or an Xbox?
Playstation mate. I buy disc versions incase I don't like the game so could sell and recoup most of the money. Saying that it's been ages since I sold any.

Personally I think digital copies should be unique and you should be free to trade them if you wish, similar to a hard copy.
That’s how it should be morally, but it’s not what companies will allow. They want profit.

Personally, I prefer digital as I don’t have to store the games and never sell them on anyway.

In 5 years gaming will go down the Netflix or Spotify route. Xbox are really pushing their subscription service and building a portfolio. Then in 10 years you won’t even need a powerful console or computer. It will be cloud based gaming once the network infrastructure gets good enough.

Days of the disc are numbered.

Depends on the console. Nintendo Switch give me the physical game cartridge any day because Nintendo's stupid account system drives me mad. We have multiple Switches in the house all linked onto a Nintendo Family account, but the whole primary console thing means that we're stuck if you want to play it away from the home wifi or whatever.

PS etc - less excruciatingly irritating with how they handle digital copies. Still kind of prefer having the disc though, but my game purchases tend to mysteriously vanish into the husband's office which means I then have to go find where he's put the flipping thing.

Back