Dirty Leeds...

Bit of a character - took a load of stick for Argentina's poor showing at world cup 2002. For ages afterwards he was getting pelters, then just as he got them to a Copa America final and Olympic gold he quit. Since then he's had various fallouts, and never really managed one of the biggest clubs in the game. Marseille and Lazio are the biggest jobs he's had. Maybe the top clubs don't fancy the baggage?

...appoint Marcelo Bielsa as their new manager?!

Leeds United: Marcelo Bielsa signs contract to become new manager

Genuine wtf moment this. How on earth have they attracted arguably the most influential coach of the modern game to f***ing Elland Road?

He's a bit temperamental like, so could easily blow up in their faces. But, I mean, a mind-boggling appointment. Would be buzzing if he showed up here, so in that sense: fair play to them.

He might be decent on paper but Leeds are mental with sacking managers and no coaching style prepares yourself for the Championship.

They'll be bottom half and him sacked by Xmas.

...appoint Marcelo Bielsa as their new manager?!

Leeds United: Marcelo Bielsa signs contract to become new manager

Genuine wtf moment this. How on earth have they attracted arguably the most influential coach of the modern game to f***ing Elland Road?

He's a bit temperamental like, so could easily blow up in their faces. But, I mean, a mind-boggling appointment. Would be buzzing if he showed up here, so in that sense: fair play to them.

well past his sell by isn't he ? This won't last long or end well for Leeds fans:)

Leeds are still a name in football, weather we like it or not. The reputation and potential of that club is massive.
Prior to ex Sunderland player Don Revie managing Leeds they were a second rate team playing in a rugby league area. He put together a team that earned the reputation Dirty Leeds. Two infamous incidents in the 1960’s made sure that they were detested in the North East and particularly by Sunderland followers - young no 9 Willie McPheat’s career finished and later Bobby Kerr suffered a broken leg. Bobby Collins and Eighton Banks son Norman Hunter both were infamous.
It was Revie who was frustrated when they started being successful and Leeds had poor support that stated “ I wish we had Sunderland’s support” .
How times have changed as we never kicked on.
We broke their ground record in 1967 in the FA cup with over 57,000 there and many locked out, 20,000 Sunderland fans at Leeds- this was pre all ticket games. I remember the replay at Hull where we outnumbered them.
In 1973 when we couldn’t get enough tickets for Wembley, we got them easily in the Leeds end.
Today Leeds can draw support from outlying areas due to their Premier League success under Wilkinson, glory hunting types, jumping on the bandwagon. Despite this they will never have Sunderland ‘s potential.
FTM

Big bad Billy - where's this member from ? Is he for real. Leeds 7 th biggest !!!
Haadaway and shite man.
Watch Wembley 73 and see how many Sunderland in the away end, packed all around the tunnel end and all over the neutral parts of the ground.
We travelled to Wembley at 12 o clock on the Friday night, queuing outside the pubs in Wembley at 9-30, all the bars were packed with Sunderland . I never saw any Leeds until after dinner and they couldn't get a drink.
After the game two brothers from Kippax who followed us around London said they couldn't believe how many Sunderland scarves were in the ground.
In Peter Reid's days Leeds played their home Reserve games at York City. When they played us the ground was packed. 25 coach loads from North East, loads by car. There were about 100 Leeds fans in the mainstand seats.
All the bars and clubs were Chocca with us, again. FTM

Back