Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (US TV show 2016- )

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyl2u

Striker
Available on Netflix at the moment.

Absolutely outstanding. Top quality.

I haven't seen the BBC version of these Douglas Adams books, but I've been blown away by this one.

Superb.

One of the best new shows I've seen over the last couple of years, and made by Max Landis (son of John Landis)!

Season 2 has just started on US TV. After binge-watching Season 1 twice in the space of a week, I don't think I could wait week-by-week for each episode of Season 2. I think I'm going to have to wait until the whole second season has finished before I start watching it.

I enjoyed it. It's very different from what's in the books and feels a little bit like they've just crossed Wilfred with Dirk Gently, but it does hold up and is true to the style and spirit of the books.

The British version was crap imho - dropped too much out of the books and didn't have the wit and pace needed.

I enjoyed it. It's very different from what's in the books and feels a little bit like they've just crossed Wilfred with Dirk Gently, but it does hold up and is true to the style and spirit of the books.

The British version was crap imho - dropped too much out of the books and didn't have the wit and pace needed.

Is it?

I read them when I was about 17 (25 years ago) and can't remember anything about them at all.

Available on Netflix at the moment.

Absolutely outstanding. Top quality.

I haven't seen the BBC version of these Douglas Adams books, but I've been blown away by this one.

Superb.

One of the best new shows I've seen over the last couple of years, and made by Max Landis (son of John Landis)!

Season 2 has just started on US TV. After binge-watching Season 1 twice in the space of a week, I don't think I could wait week-by-week for each episode of Season 2. I think I'm going to have to wait until the whole second season has finished before I start watching it.

The UK version with Steven Mangan is very funny too. Worth watching both as they are completely different shows based on the same source material

I just finished re-reading the book for the umpteenth time last night. I haven't watched the US series. I think the Mangan one put me off.

Is it?

I read them when I was about 17 (25 years ago) and can't remember anything about them at all.

Time to read them again if you're enjoying this. Douglas Adams' original stories are on another level entirely.

The first novel starts with a weird magic trick at a university dinner then just goes off in various directions tying together a colossal range of threads into one case. The second starts with an explosion at an airport which harms no one and can't be explained, and is officially called an act of God. Dirk Gently decides it's very important to find out *which* God

The UK version with Steven Mangan is very funny too. Worth watching both as they are completely different shows based on the same source material

Didn't like it. Thought it was flat and did a particularly bad job of adapting the story

Time to read them again if you're enjoying this. Douglas Adams' original stories are on another level entirely.

The first novel starts with a weird magic trick at a university dinner then just goes off in various directions tying together a colossal range of threads into one case. The second starts with an explosion at an airport which harms no one and can't be explained, and is officially called an act of God. Dirk Gently decides it's very important to find out *which* God

Didn't like it. Thought it was flat and did a particularly bad job of adapting the story

That's odd. I thought Mangan was much funnier than the chap in the American version

I just finished re-reading the book for the umpteenth time last night. I haven't watched the US series. I think the Mangan one put me off.

You should give it a go. It's superb.

That's odd. I thought Mangan was much funnier than the chap in the American version

I was laughing my ass off at the US one all the way, but not usually at Dirk himself to be fair, usually at a situation or one of the other characters.

All a matter of taste I suppose. It could be that the differences between the American version and the books were so vast from the beginning that I just let it go and appreciated it for it was, but a supposedly faithful adaptation's differences pissed me off too much. Maybe I'll give it another chance

You should give it a go. It's superb.

I was laughing my ass off at the US one all the way, but not usually at Dirk himself to be fair, usually at a situation or one of the other characters.

I don't understand. You can climax your donkey-like animal simply by laughing helplessly? Do you have to be sitting on it at the time?

Anyhow the program is indeed very good, despite the annoying lead character.

Just noticed this on Netflix. Memories of Stephen Mangan were putting me off. However, as I know Samuel Barnett's a good actor (seen him on stage a few times) and Elija's a sweetie, I'm giving it a go.

I just watched all four episodes of the Stephen Mangan version this morning/afternoon. It was OK, but not a patch on the new US version IMO. Completely different kind of show.

Based on SHADA, the unfinished Doctor Who story?

Really enjoyed the first series. Just batshit mental really.

Gonna wait until 2nd series has aired in full before watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back