Director of Football or Manager

I was at the match on Saturday watching our young talented lads beating those experienced pros of Stoke.

I was thinking our recruitment team had done a great job signing these lads when the alternative could have been Alex Neil signing the likes of the dross on show for Stoke.

What's your thoughts? What would you rather?
You can still be a manager & not sign shite & I’m sure there’ll be managers out there that outsmart Speakman sign a great player from nowt.

The title is just a title & the job description doesn’t change.

We’ve got a better team than Stoke. There’s another 90 clubs in the football league, so your question won’t be answered by 90mins of football.

I was at the match on Saturday watching our young talented lads beating those experienced pros of Stoke.

I was thinking our recruitment team had done a great job signing these lads when the alternative could have been Alex Neil signing the likes of the dross on show for Stoke.

What's your thoughts? What would you rather?
Stoke are on of a rapidly dwindling number of clubs that still adhere to the old manger is king model.

I’d rather we had a DoF, but I’d prefer one who I felt I could trust rather than Speakman.

You can still be a manager & not sign shite & I’m sure there’ll be managers out there that outsmart Speakman sign a great player from nowt.

The title is just a title & the job description doesn’t change.

We’ve got a better team than Stoke. There’s another 90 clubs in the football league, so your question won’t be answered by 90mins of football.
Fair enough. The point stands though as it seems both Neil and Mowbray had a power struggle with Speakman. Had Neil won that struggle we could have been lining up with something like the Stoke team.

Personally I think the DOF is the way to go.

DoF of course, it's not just that the young lads were good and what have you but put the cost of Stokes club against what we've built.

Ours in particular has done a fantastic job.

In todays world where managers last 2-3 years if they are lucky it makes no sense in letting them transform the team every time. Having a DOF means the club has a way of playing and any manager/head coach has to fit in with that.

Manager always. Football must be unique in being a job, where a manager has no input in the players who sign for the club, and ultimately if it goes wrong, they lose their job, because of some 25 year old recruitment guru, who is good on computers and won the Scottish Premier League twice running on Championship Manager with Annan Athletic/

In todays world where managers last 2-3 years if they are lucky it makes no sense in letting them transform the team every time. Having a DOF means the club has a way of playing and any manager/head coach has to fit in with that.
Are you basing this on Mowbray and Beale's styles of play being so similar?

I'd go the Speakman route. You just have to look at his transfer record. From 21/22 season onwards I'd probably say 8 signings would be classed as complete flops. He made 27 signings. Not including this season, or the season Speakman came to the club.

I'd go the Speakman route. You just have to look at his transfer record. From 21/22 season onwards I'd probably say 8 signings would be classed as complete flops. He made 27 signings. Not including this season, or the season Speakman came to the club.
Speakman and his team have turned us from a group of worthless plodders floundering in division 1, to an exciting young team on the edges of the Premier league with players worth multi millions of pounds and a youth set up producing potential superstars .
To add to this , he has also done all of the above on a budget .
If he was working in any other business, he would be hailed as some sort of genius yet on here he is treated like the bogeyman. Absolutely clueless some of our fan base .

Last edited:
Speakman and his team have turned us from a group of worthless plodders floundering in division 1, to an exciting young team on the edges of the Premier league with players worth multi millions of pounds and a youth set up producing potential superstars .
To add to this , he has also done all of the above on a budget .
If he was working in any other business, he would be hailed as some sort of genius yet on here he is treated like the bogeyman. Absolutely clueless some of our fan base .
Multi millions 😂 stretching it a bit
We won a game and they’re all back to being geniuses !!

Back