Digital Camera - Repair vs Replacement

I've been looking to have a Panasonic Lumix TZ 90 repaired. It's still functional, though dust has got into the lens barrel and there's a hair on the sensor, meaning there's a smudge (wide angle) or a clear hair (telephoto) depending on zoom. The charging LED has given up the ghost, but that's a nothing. The camera is 5 years old and has served me well and it's taken a bit of a battering if I'm honest.

Shops I've contacted won't touch it. The hint is Panasonic will charge a minimum fee just to look at it before even deciding to repair it. I've been given a name, APM Cameras, in Newc***le who might look at it. It's going to be minimum a strip down and clean, with a possible lens barrel replacement.

The other option is to replace and I've my eyes on the Canon Powershot SX 740, another compact digital at £370 r.r.p. I might be able to drop that price online.

If repair is going to be costly, the I might just opt to replace.

Question is who has had a digital compact repaired recently and how much did it set you back?

EDIT: The Canon's predecessor, the SX 730 is £270 online.

Last edited:

Panasonic LUMIX DC-TZ95D Superzoom Digital Camera, 24-720mm Optical Leica Zoom Lens, 20.3 MP, Panorama Selfie, 4K Function, Silver https://amzn.eu/d/5P2lhfx

TZ95. 399 or 383 for an open box warehouse.

I’d just go new mate. Not used a Panny for years, but with any camera, I’ve never repaired. Can be like throwing money down a very big plug hole.

I've been looking to have a Panasonic Lumix TZ 90 repaired. It's still functional, though dust has got into the lens barrel and there's a hair on the sensor, meaning there's a smudge (wide angle) or a clear hair (telephoto) depending on zoom. The charging LED has given up the ghost, but that's a nothing. The camera is 5 years old and has served me well and it's taken a bit of a battering if I'm honest.

Shops I've contacted won't touch it. The hint is Panasonic will charge a minimum fee just to look at it before even deciding to repair it. I've been given a name, APM Cameras, in Newc***le who might look at it. It's going to be minimum a strip down and clean, with a possible lens barrel replacement.

The other option is to replace and I've my eyes on the Canon Powershot SX 740, another compact digital at £370 r.r.p. I might be able to drop that price online.

If repair is going to be costly, the I might just opt to replace.

Question is who has had a digital compact repaired recently and how much did it set you back?

EDIT: The Canon's predecessor, the SX 730 is £270 online.
There's a couple of places who state they're Panasonic repair centres. One on eBay.
The other is in Tunbridge Wells
Phone number is
01892 525327.
They say you can phone them with the issues and they'll give you a price over the phone. £48 is what they advertise...... I guess you'd have to confirm that! Hope that's of use?
I just picked up the Panasonic TZ70 off FB marketplace 3 months ago as a ' carry around' and really like it. I am a Fuji Fanboy but the TZ70 was too cheap to refuse! .. Hardly used, original box, extra battery and nice genuine Panasonic case..... £40!

Good luck with yours, mate
👍👍

Last edited:

Back