Derek Underwood RIP

RIP one of the great cricketers I grew up watching on the t.v. A thrilling bowler, 'pace spinning', just a joy yo watch. I had a soft spot for Kent then with Underwood, Knott, Woolmer and Iqbal as well as Colin Cowdrey who seemed like someone from another world.
I'm at the age now where I could rattle off the Kent XI of the early 70s but would be hard pushed to name two or three of the current side.🤣
Brian Luckhurst, Alan Ealham, John Shepherd and 6ft 8" Norman Graham from Hexham to add to that list.

I'm at the age now where I could rattle off the Kent XI of the early 70s but would be hard pushed to name two or three of the current side.🤣
Brian Luckhurst, Alan Ealham, John Shepherd and 6ft 8" Norman Graham from Hexham to add to that list.
Kent always seemed to he on TV on Sundays - I've just looked it up and they won the Sunday League in 72, 73 and 76.

I think knowing the names of players is a bit more intense when we are bairns and it sticks. I am just about keeping up with the Sunderland line up :D

It’s a funny thing about that Kent side. I could too. The Lancashire side of that era was pretty iconic as well and as someone who grew up in the far south of the county and only had Yorkshire to follow back then I could probably have named theirs too. But it’s weird about Kent. So far away but so much in the memory. Underwood and Knott were my first two heroes. I became a keeper because of the latter. A sad day.

My first cricketing memory is black and white telephone, Underwood bowling on a sticky wicket, nine fielders around the bat and taking apart Australia - at the Oval I think - 1968 - as England squared the Ashes.
Edit black and white TV ...

Last edited:

Back