Derek Pringle

I sat next to him at a dinner at Cambridge University. Very good company and extremely good at getting the decent wine down to our end of the table.

He was a really good county cricketer. Kept getting picked for England due to county form, the obsession with having an all rounder in the team and injuries to Botham. I agree he was shite for England.

He was the worst player ever to play for England. I saw better players in the DSL and the Bradford League. That performance was probably his best but don't mention the times he went for big returns. Could not bat to save his life. Thankfully he was a Cambridge blue. He was asked to play for England but turned it down because it was his Varsity match and he would not got his blue. 30 tests 70 wickets and 700 runs. If he had played for an unfashionable side he would never have played for England.
I could probably name 20 players worse from him

He was the worst player ever to play for England. I saw better players in the DSL and the Bradford League. That performance was probably his best but don't mention the times he went for big returns. Could not bat to save his life. Thankfully he was a Cambridge blue. He was asked to play for England but turned it down because it was his Varsity match and he would not got his blue. 30 tests 70 wickets and 700 runs. If he had played for an unfashionable side he would never have played for England.
Who was better than Pringle in the leagues ?

I think it was proved years ago by some statistician that Pringle was the worst player ever to play for England. I cannot remember who but I will try and find it.

Yet ironically has the best ever bowling figures for an England bowler in any world cup final ;)

Back