Denly

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
A post sticking up for him as I’ve seen a stack of criticism (which I can understand).

For years we’ve twisted at Root going to the crease five overs in and ruining our best bat. So Denly’s 25 off 80 balls are more valuable than a 35 off 55 for me. I think his recent knocks have been important in our upturn in scores.

Yes, he should be the man who falls when Burns is back fit but I think Denly should then replace Bairstow as our reserve batsman. He’s showed far more application than him recently.

Last edited:

I agree, we should praise him while understanding his limitations. He's doing as well as he can (I think).

Is he good for the team? The answer is certainly yes, in these circumstances and God knows we've been searching 1st class performances long enough for a 1, 2 and 3 and haven't found them until possibly now.

I don't think he's good enough to play a situational innings, his value is as defensive, third opener. This match, he came in off the back of a 100 opening partnership, attempted to play a more aggressive game and never looked settled. I would have been tempted to juggle the batting order and bring him middle order when Pope got out. It used to be more common to have a top order batsman at six for the second new ball.

I agree, we should praise him while understanding his limitations. He's doing as well as he can (I think).

Is he good for the team? The answer is certainly yes, in these circumstances and God knows we've been searching 1st class performances long enough for a 1, 2 and 3 and haven't found them until possibly now.

Fair. But a lot of the praise has been OTT. Vaughan went from calling him worse than shit to claiming he could be a full bowling all-rounder (he's literally taken 2 wickets in 60 overs FFS). I've also seen him likened to Chris Rogers after his career saving 94 against Australia.

A post sticking up for him as I’ve seen a stack of criticism (which I can understand).

For years we’ve twisted at Root going to the crease five overs in and ruining our best bat. So Denly’s 25 off 80 balls are more valuable than a 35 off 55 for me. I think his recent knocks have been important in our upturn in scores.

Yes, he should be the man who falls when Burns is back fit but I think Denly should then replace Bairstow as our reserve batsman. He’s showed far more application than him recently.
Wouldn't disagree. That said, he will come under massive pressure in the summer once Burns is fit and assuming Crawley and Sibley continue their impressive starts

He’s done a job but that’s it now for me, we need to move on as he’s simply not scoring enough runs to continue in the team. Burns back in as you say and hopefully come the summer there’ll be some young batsmen knocking on the door for the reserve batsman spots.

He’s done a job but that’s it now for me, we need to move on as he’s simply not scoring enough runs to continue in the team. Burns back in as you say and hopefully come the summer there’ll be some young batsmen knocking on the door for the reserve batsman spots.

I wouldn’t disagree that Burns replaces him as soon as he’s fit but I don’t think Denly should be consigned to the dustbin a la Robson, Jennings, Ballance etc. He’s shown more grit than them.

He’s only 33 and if he was 7th/ reserve bat going on the plane to Australia in 18 months I’d be fine with that.

I wouldn’t disagree that Burns replaces him as soon as he’s fit but I don’t think Denly should be consigned to the dustbin a la Robson, Jennings, Ballance etc. He’s shown more grit than them.

He’s only 33 and if he was 7th/ reserve bat going on the plane to Australia in 18 months I’d be fine with that.

Agreed, no issues with him being a reserve in the short to medium term.

Fair. But a lot of the praise has been OTT. Vaughan went from calling him worse than shit to claiming he could be a full bowling all-rounder (he's literally taken 2 wickets in 60 overs FFS). I've also seen him likened to Chris Rogers after his career saving 94 against Australia.
To be fair, Vaughan is a gobshite who chats shit.
Joe Denly has edged seven of the last ten defensive shots he's played in Tests, losing his wicket on two occasions in that sequence. #SAvEng

Last edited:

I cant stand Vaughan like - he just says stuff for clickbait. Was advocating Pope at 3 already and Archer never to play test cricket again over the last 2 days.

How the hell does Sibley manage to bat so well, he’s almost square to the ball when it gets to him.
Aweful stance and wanders all over the place.
His practise shots are nowt like his actually ones when he’s missed the ball.
Hats off to the lad mind, I’m amazed he does it so well.

How the hell does Sibley manage to bat so well, he’s almost square to the ball when it gets to him.
Aweful stance and wanders all over the place.
His practise shots are nowt like his actually ones when he’s missed the ball.
Hats off to the lad mind, I’m amazed he does it so well.
You can see now though that people are starting to get him caught on the legside.

He is far from awful and he is a calming influence, but his days are numbered as soon as Burns is back. I think he will lose his wicket pretty quickly against Sri Lanka as well leaving the selectors no option but to drop him.
Also, Foakes can come in for Buttler and then he can fight in out with Bairstow and Denly for reserve batsman.

Last edited:

Back